HSF on E-stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HSF on E-stand

Hello guys. There is a nice HSF for sale at E-stand, there is no doubt about that.

But I´m not a expert on HSF values. So my question is this..

Isn´t 350$ or 275€ a normal price for HSF Zinc Schwerin badge these days?

I was just "what a hell" when I saw the price for this one

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=456996

HSF Badge

I'm currently in the market for a HSF Schwerin thats in good condition with most of its gilding intact and am finding that for the type of quality I'm after, the average asking price is between 420 to 450 euros and above that for exeptional pieces.

Lakeside trader has a particularly minty Schwerin HSF on offer and he wants $975 US for it whilst he is asking $500 for a denazified HSF

HSF examples which are well worn and most of the finish gone are going for $300-$400 US each

Cheers

Joseph

Comment

On HSF Badge. There is a huge price difference between Tombak and Zinc, right?

Comment

Originally posted by hlynur76 View Post
        On HSF Badge. There is a huge price difference between Tombak and Zinc, right?
        Interesting question; I'm not sure as Ive seen expensive and cheaper prices for both types

Comment

Originally posted by Josko View Post
          Interesting question; I'm not sure as Ive seen expensive and cheaper prices for both types
          Guys, just my 2 cents, IMO I many times see a significant value difference between a tomback & zincers. As tomback better material, retains the finish & used on earlier awards. Where zinc was used as a cheaper material during the later parts of the war and the finish in generally absorbed by the zinc.
          Very interesting question though...
          Greg

Comment

I'll see your two cents and add some of mine.

Since loose change is being thrown around, I am putting in my two cents as well. (I'll Call)
            Seems like the HSF badge as well as the U-boot badges seem to have this run of popularity as of late. Members who primarily collect in a different category like FJ or lets say Uniforms and such have invested in HSF badges and now the market demand for them is a favorable one and so the selling begins. Many on this forum collect the super mint badges. You can never go wrong owning a mint badge. However, other badges that have flaws could be a bit harder to move.
            I think that this badge is a nice example. The back is a little rough (regarding the texture leading me to think zinc) but a nice badge.

Here's something for another discussion and a different sub-forum. Why there is not a standard for what is considered mint, very fine, good and other standards all the way down to relic?

Think there was a posting thread a couple of years ago that had some pretty good description of what other members have rated their badges and collections:

uber mint:
            Super mint:
            Pristine mint:
            etc...

Let us also remember that these awards were produced using pretty poor quality metals or combination of different medals. (Check out Wikipedia and their description of Tombak/Tombac). The value of these is like anything that deals with collecting. The price is whatever someone is willing to pay.
            The market is set pretty well for these badges IMHO.
            I believe that someone might pay $750 or maybe a bit less.

This is just my opinion.

Regards,
            JustinG
            Last edited by JustinG; 08-26-2010, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Normally, one would expect to see a higher price on a tombak KM award than on a zinc KM award,of the same type ,depending on the condition.
              However,this is a very fine looking zinc Schwerin Fleet badge and hard to find in this condition.
              It is between the buyer and the seller.As a buyer, how badly do you want this badge?
              A little overpriced,maybe,but a fine looking badge IMO.

Regards,Martin.
              Last edited by Martin W; 08-26-2010, 08:00 PM.

Comment

I agree with you Martin......a very nice badge but I reckon a tad overpriced which is evident by the fact its been up for sale for some time and it doesnt look like it gonna move.

Well, if Lakeside traders drops the price a bit.....then I'll become interested but at the moment its at a premium that I'm not willing to pay.

Cheers

Joseh

Comment

Hsf

Hello,
                  IMO, there is a differnce between a zinc and tomak badge price wise. The reason being is usually condition, for zinc badges for the most part do not wear well.

That being said, I like the example posted for sale. As Martin has pointed out, it is a real nice badge and rare to find in such condition. I used to have a zinc HSF badge myself, but sold it 25+ years ago because the condition was not up to par. If you are collecting different styles of HSF badges by Schwerin, this would make a fine addition.

Regards,
                  Jody

Comment

Try to find an other zink Schwerin in that condition...
                    Kind regards,
                    Giel

Check out our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Giels-Milit...5292741243193/

Comment

Originally posted by Giel Van Wassenhove View Post
                      Try to find an other zink Schwerin in that condition...
                      When you say it, It´s not easy to find it in this condition I guess.

I already have HSF Tombak that is similar like this zincer in condition. I payed 550$ for it and I´m happy about it.

Comment

I think a lot depends on your collecting focus (general or specific). Schwerin badges are a particular focus of mine and I therefore collect both zinc and tombak schwerins and have paid tombak prices for zinc badges in top condition.

As stated the zinc badges are usually cheaper than the tombak purely due to the condition they are commonly found in. The market on these is driven by general collector desirability which results in the mint schwerin tombak always being pricied higher than it's equivelent zinc even though it is nowhere near in terms of actual rarity.

However back to the badge in question, I do not have a Schwerin zinc HSF in top condition and like Jody sold the one I had several years ago for the exact same reason he did. I would consider spending the amount of money being asked for this one to fill the missing gap but from the photos shown I am not convinced that the finish to the wreath is period.
                        Regards, Rob
                        Collecting Inerests Awards / Badges and Kriegsmarine

Comment

Originally posted by hlynur76 View Post
                          When you say it, It´s not easy to find it in this condition I guess.

I already have HSF Tombak that is similar like this zincer in condition. I payed 550$ for it and I´m happy about it.
                          Can you post some pics of your zincer, would be interested to see
                          Regards, Rob
                          Collecting Inerests Awards / Badges and Kriegsmarine

Comment

Here are the photos of Eddie's badge from E-stand to put this discussion in perspective.

It's hard for me to comment on price. I think the internet dealer market is all inflated and yet they stay in business somehow so I may be just naive about what people are willing to pay. Just recently I saw a zinc unmarked F&B coastal artillery sell for $125 and now someone's asking 190 Euro for a similar condition one -- the expectations vary wildly.

At any rate it is a nice badge for a zincer.

Best regards,
                            ---Norm
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by rhudspith View Post
                              Can you post some pics of your zincer, would be interested to see
                              Read again

"I already have HSF Tombak that is similar like this zincer in condition"

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X