HSF on E-stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by John Robinson View Post
    The actual application of the gilding was done I think with a piece of cloth, not a brush.

Do you know?

John
    Hi John,

I don't have any specific knowledge of the technique of application used by badge manufacturers, but I would guess a piece of cloth may not be so practical for mercury amalgam gilding considering how dangerous (and expensive) the material is and you wouldn't want to waste any by having it soaked into a cloth.

Here's an excerpted description of fire gilding from “The Grove Encyclopedia of Materials and Techniques in Art” by Gerald W. R. Ward, 2008, in which brushing is described.

"Fire Gilding [Mercury, amalgam or parcel gilding]

(i) Technique. This method of gilding made use of the property of mercury readily to form an amalgam with gold and was usually applied to copper or silver. The technique as practiced in the medieval period was described in detail by Theophilus (first half of the 12th century) in De diversis artibus, and many 19th-century workshop manuals (e.g. those by Spon and Thorpe) contain detailed accounts of this process. There were two basic methods applying either gold leaf or a gold-mercury amalgam to a surface that had already been treated with mercury.

In both methods the metal had to be carefully cleaned free of all grease and scratch-brushed to key the surface; then mercury was applied. In the more remote past metallic mercury was vigorously worked into the surface with a short, stiff brush until the surface was uniformly covered. From the 18th century the usual practice was to dip the cleaned metal into a solution of mercuric nitrate, which precipitated mercury on to the surface in a thin, continuous layer. This process was known as quicking.

In the first method of fire gilding then sheets of gold were laid on to the prepared surface, vigorously burnished and then heated to drive off the mercury. This seems to be the process described by Pliny the elder (AD 23/4-79) in his Natural History (xxxiii.32; Rackham, 1968, p.77). In the second process an amalgam of mercury and gold was first prepared by heating mercury to about the temperature of boiling water and then adding about half the weight of pure gold filings, stirring with an iron rod until the amalgam had the consistency of butter (hence the term ‘butter of gold’) The health hazards of handling mercury were recognized even in medieval times, and the prepared amalgam was stored under water. The amalgam was then applied to the freshly quicked surface by brushing. When the piece was covered it was gently warmed to evaporate the mercury, while the gilding continued to be worked with a stiff brush to ensure even coverage. Alternatively the amalgam could be carefully applied and brushed in with a wire brush that had itself been quicked to promote even coverage, then heated in a closed furnace. In the latter process, however, the piece had to be kept under constant observation, periodically moved and the amalgam layer worked if necessary to keep the gilding even as it formed. The freshly gilded surface had a rather matt, granular appearance, which could then be further treated by scratch brushing, burnishing or by the use of chemicals to produce the desired colour and texture."

Again, this is only for fire gilding. Later gold finishes used on zinc badges would have been a different story.

---Norm

Comment

A lot of effort clearly.

John

Comment

Interesting thread, pity the badge is in the US, would certainly like to have a look at it in hand.

On zinc badges I believe Schwerin had more than one process for finishing which changed over a period of time. The original gold finishes that I have encountered have been of a plain gold nature and not like the "sparkly" gold found on the tombak badges. Most of the zinc schwerins with original finish have been combined with a flat matt black reverse which is prone to severe bubbling.

On some badges I have also noticed what seems to be a silver plated layer applied under the final finish, this can often be seen on very worn badges.

In hand the difference between this silver "pre-coat" which has a metallic appearance, the bare zinc badge which is usually dark grey and faded gold which has a light grey/silver appearance.

What I look for on these as Mike pointed out is for the colour of the gold overspill on the back to match that on the front. There are typical areas where this occurs, in particular the angle between the eagles wing and the wreath which often shows as a circular overspill. It was this particular feature along with the sparkly appearance of the gilding which rang the alarm bells for me. However passing the acetone test did surprise me.

I attach some photos of Schwerin Zinc badges for perusal
        Attached Files
        Last edited by John R.; 09-07-2010, 09:16 AM.
        Regards, Rob
        Collecting Inerests Awards / Badges and Kriegsmarine

Comment

Attached Files
          Regards, Rob

Comment

mswp
            Attached Files
            Regards, Rob

Comment

Dest, need to take a closer look at this, unfortunately not great photos
              Attached Files
              Regards, Rob

Comment

Hi Rob,

That has to be one of the best second pattern Schwerins around.

I think you are saying the same thing as Norm.

For most Schwerin zimc badges, and I agree, there was that series of zinc Schwerins that had the heavy silver plating on the back, there was the dark grey coat, then a silver coat over which the gilding was to be applied.

Your examples prove this I think.

You can see overspill of the silver coat and overspill of the gilding in a couple examples. The silver coat was only supposed to be under the gilding, but like the gilding itself, it would splash over on the reverse.

John

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X