Juncker EK2s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Juncker EK2s

I've developed an interest in Juncker EK2s, which is odd because I used to say that I didn't understand their appeal. Here are some of the types I've found and a little information about them.

1) Standard Juncker (also called "full Juncker"). This one has the traditional Juncker 3-flaw frame and "teardop 9" core. The core is magnetic.

Another of the same type:

I'm very happy to have this last one back in my collection. I had sold it, and the buyer returned it to me. I've decided now to keep it as I think it has the most character of any of the 3-flaw Junckers I've seen.
    Best regards,
    Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

2) Early 3-flaw Juncker. The standard 3-flaw frame, but with a non-magnetic (zinc) core usually found in early Juncker Schinkels.

Best regards,
    Streptile

Comment

3) Juncker/W&L. The standard Juncker 3-flaw frame with a W&L core. This one is on an Austrian-style tri-fold ribbon and has been in my collection since the 1990s.

Best regards,
      Streptile

Comment

4) This is a flawed frame, which I think is one of the less-common Juncker frames. A long flaw runs down the 7 o'clock arm beading strand. I call it, creatively, the "flawed frame." I believe this one is a Juncker because I've seen it (although I don't have one) with the same Juncker core we see in no. 2 above. The frame has the traditional Juncker cross-hatching in the corners and the jumpring lug. The core in this one is one that Carl (Roglebk) has called the "small RK" core, I think because the date numerals resemble the Juncker RK dates. This particular example is in stunning condition, and it came with an orange ribbon.

Last edited by streptile; 12-27-2009, 02:05 AM.
        Best regards,
        Streptile

Comment

5) Small-frame Juncker. This is the only example I've ever seen of this particular type. I believe it's a Juncker for a few reasons. The core is found in other indisputable Junckers -- it's the non-magnetic zinc Juncker Schinkel core, the frame exhibits the typical cross-hatching and jumpring lug, and two very experienced friends have said they think it's a Juncker . I call it the "small frame" because the frame measures 43.4mm x 43.4mm. This one came on a narrow 25mm ribbon.

Best regards,
          Streptile

Comment

6) My favorite, the Juncker Schinkel. Made with frames left over from Imperial times, this was, in my opinion, probably the very earliest Juncker EK2 made during WWII. While I have seen this cross with the magnetic "small RK" core, they are more commonly found with these zinc cores. Curiously, the EK1 version of this cross is often found with brass cores made from the same die. This exact type is discussed in some detail HERE. This particular example came on a 30mm silky-soft orange ribbon.

If I had to hazard a guess about a timeline for these, I'd say the Juncker Schinkel came first, then either the "small frame" or the "flawed frame," then the 3-flaw frames. This is very speculative, but I think it's fair to state with some certainty that the Schinkel, the "small frame," and the "flawed frame" all preceded the 3-flaw frame, as all three all may be found with the Schinkel core, but never with the "teardop" core (that I have seen), and never with the W&L core. Moreover, the "small RK" core may be found in the "flawed frame" and the Schinkel.

Please feel free to add any different Juncker or presumed Juncker variants to this thread. Your comments and opinions are very welcome, too.

Thank you for looking.
            Last edited by streptile; 12-27-2009, 02:13 AM.
            Best regards,
            Streptile

Comment

nice junckers Trevor
              i like the schinkel verry nice

Kind regards Bas

Comment

Stunning crosses

Comment

Hi Trevor,
                  thanks to share all these beauties with us and with a clear explanation for every type. Ok the Junckers EKII are the most looked for but are really very nice.

Comment

Nice crosses Trevor but you already know I do not share the same thoughts or oppinions on these as per pm I had sent you on Dec 6th , which I presume you got .

Douglas

Comment

Trevor,

It just keeps getting nicer as I scroll down the page! The Juncker wide-frame Schinkel is one of my favorites (I'd love to own your EKI), as is the 3-flaw 'full Juncker'. They're all very nice examples. A great presentation.

Comment

Thanks, everyone, for the nice comments. I like all these crosses very much, but I mus say (for the moment) that the Juncker Schinkel and the "flawed frame" are my favorites.
                        Best regards,
                        Streptile

Comment

Here, for the sake of completeness, are some more EK2s. I think these are probably Junckers -- they have the same frame as no. 6 above -- but they may be by AWS.

An Imperial in some kind of alloy:

An Imperial in .800 silver (marked '800' on the ring):

An Imperial in .925 silver (marked '925' on the ring) with the best patina of any cross I have ever had. Also, all the Imperials have the same reverse, so I'm just showing this one.

An 1870, made around 1900:

Best regards,
                          Streptile

Comment

CEJ/W&L; marked L/12
                            Attached Files

Comment

The L/12 mark on the top right on the rear of the frame. It's a pain in backside to get a half decent shot of the mark as the cross is mounted.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X