1st Class Spange by the Unknown Maker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st Class Spange by the Unknown Maker

My camera just doesn't catch the highlights of this nicely-aged spange. The high spots just sparkle above the dark patina. A nice spange with honest wear. Question: Who made these clasps?
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

It's such a nice design -- very elegant. But I've no idea who could have made it. I feel like the same reverse hardware is used on other Spangen. Am I correct? If we could figure out who else used these pins, and then figure out which other makers had a known relationship with them, we might start to get an idea.
        Best regards,
        Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Originally posted by streptile View Post
          It's such a nice design -- very elegant. But I've no idea who could have made it. I feel like the same reverse hardware is used on other Spangen. Am I correct? If we could figure out who else used these pins, and then figure out which other makers had a known relationship with them, we might start to get an idea.
          I've seen these pins used on Mayers before, Trevor.
          Attached Files

Comment

There were (14) other firms along with Mayer that were located in Pforzheim. This doesn't give us much to go on. We'd have to find other combat badges utilizing the same pin assembly as the Unknown Maker, and I can't think of one at this time outside of Mayer.

Comment

Originally posted by robert pierce View Post
              There were (14) other firms along with Mayer that were located in Pforzheim. This doesn't give us much to go on. We'd have to find other combat badges utilizing the same pin assembly as the Unknown Maker, and I can't think of one at this time outside of Mayer.
              The other thought I had is the catch wire. Since the pin itself is so small, we're probably unlikely to find the same exact one on any other marked or otherwise identifiable badges. But I've noticed that a few Spange makers (Mayer, Deumer, Meybauer, to name three) use the same catch wire (and, in some instances, the same hinge-block style as well) on their Spangen and their EK1s.

Now, this won't get us to a consensus on the maker. But it would be interesting at least to see if we can identify a marked or identifiable EK1 that uses the same square-section catch wire and laying-down hinge block style. If we can find one, maybe some other similarities of manufacture or design will become apparent. If that maker is located in Pforzheim, that would tell us a little something, too.

I know this is guesswork, but it's what we have to work with for the time being.
              Best regards,
              Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Good Trevor,

There are a few makers with such hinge and catch configurations. This will take some study.....

Comment

What a nice spange ...I do not have a 1st class yet

/Flemming

Comment

At awarding; what a contrast...
                    Attached Files

Comment

well, you know I'm leaning towards L/57...!
                      regards
                      jon

Comment

Originally posted by tinmantis View Post
                        well, you know I'm leaning towards L/57...!
                        regards
                        jon

Please tell us more, jon. Why Boerger & Co.?

Comment

Originally posted by robert pierce View Post
                          At awarding; what a contrast...
                          Very nice ! ...takes you back in time, the condition it's in, ... just like it was looking at recipients,

....but now days it's looking at us more like that with some patina on....
                          Attached Files

Comment

Very nice. I never knew there was anyone else who loved the Unknown Maker as I do. You're way ahead of me. I just sold my other stone mint cased clasp to another forum member last month, leaving me with just these two.

Comment

...I love them all..., ....just happened I got four of those.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X