'14 ek1 - question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'14 ek1 - question

Any idea when and who made this type of ek?

Thanks
    Alik
    Attached Files

---
    Attached Files

Comment

----
      Attached Files

Comment

That core type was common in WWII, I believe. I've not personally seen it with that reverse hardware, but many makers used the core.
        Best regards,
        Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

...any of those makers still in business after the war?

...cross didn't come 'alone'.......came with a "backup"...........which looks postwar.
          ...I'll take some pics later on.

Comment

Yep, this same core was used through the '60s.
            Best regards,
            Streptile

Comment

Here it is, ....copy of the 1914 GC star made sometime postwar,
              I was just wondering if the maker can be identified .
              Attached Files

Comment

---
                Attached Files

Comment

-----
                  Attached Files

Comment

-------
                    Attached Files

Comment

Steinhauer & Lück

S&L core
                      S&L frame
                      S&L pin
                      S&L hingeblock
                      S&L catch
                      Best regards,
                      Streptile

Comment

Several makers used very similar cores and crowns to this example, however they can be distinguished by their dates. Comparing with examples in my collection, I can state;

Not Deumer - used an "open" 4 and very curly tailed 9.
                        Not S&L - they had a closed 4 but a moderately curly tailed 9
                        Imo Schauerte & Hohfeld is the best date match with a closed 4 and non-curly 9.

The bright finish on this example looks post-45 to me but the cross hardware was unusual and looked pre-40. The hardware on the star is definitely post-45 imo, so I'd suggest the hardware on the cross was specially made up.

An interesting item for sure!

Regards
                        Mike
                        Regards
                        Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Here is the link to the thread in post #10 and #11, the star from S&L and it's different.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ad.php?t=55496

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Kenny View Post
                            Several makers used very similar cores and crowns to this example, however they can be distinguished by their dates. Comparing with examples in my collection, I can state;

Not Deumer - used an "open" 4 and very curly tailed 9.
                            Not S&L - they had a closed 4 but a moderately curly tailed 9
                            Imo Schauerte & Hohfeld is the best date match with a closed 4 and non-curly 9.

The bright finish on this example looks post-45 to me but the cross hardware was unusual and looked pre-40. The hardware on the star is definitely post-45 imo, so I'd suggest the hardware on the cross was specially made up.

An interesting item for sure!

Regards
                            Mike
                            Mike -- re the cores, are you talking about WWII-era cores?

To me this setup is pure 1957-era S&L. My best suggestion would be to post a link to this thread, or (better still, for an unbiased opinion) repost the photos in the 1957 section. There are some real postwar experts there who will sort it out for you.

By the way, I do not think the Star in the link was made by S&L as stated, but rather custom made up with a wartime S&L 1914-series EK1. That's my guess, as the cross shown in that thread looks wartime S&L, and the one here looks '60s S&L.
                            Best regards,
                            Streptile

Comment

1957-era S&L EK1:

Typical S&L pin, hinge and catch style (postwar) -- pin comes in all different lengths:

Best regards,
                              Streptile

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X