Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High Seas Fleet - Foerster & Barth?

Gents,

Also picked this one up today. It has many characteristics of the Foerster & Barth. The pin and catch look original. There is a top allignment mark and the semi cut outs look ok.

Please help me and let me know what you think.

Regards

Steve
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

IMO,this is a good original zinc badge.It certainly has the characteristics of a Foerster & Barth piece.
          However,it does not display the reverse hardware we usually associate with Foerster & Barth.
          Still a good badge.
          Here is one that i have with the "typical" F & B hardware.

Regards,Martin.
          Attached Files

Comment

Reverse,F & B.
            Attached Files

Comment

a typically F&B HSF.........

Comment

Hi Guys,

Steve suggested I update this discussion since his period HSF is listed on estand right now:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=459723

Since the time of this thread, the attribution of this HSF has changed from F&B to Steinhauer & Lück.

Just as with the S&L minesweeper and Auxiliary Cruiser badges, the inverse taper pin on these HSF badges historically caused the mis-attribution to F&B, simply because F&B used a very similar pin.

In the case of the S&L minesweeper, you can see here a few different setups on the same badge, one of which is the exact pin type used on the HSF. Notice these two S&L zinc minesweepers share the same characteristic circled flaw that carried onward into the S&L '57 version minesweeper which was based on the wartime tooling.

In the second attachment you see the S&L zinc minesweeper compared with a similar one attached to the Lüdenscheid sample board that was sold by eMedals a couple of years ago, and which contained a variety of S&L and other Lüdenscheid products.

Likewise, as Martin can tell you, the S&L Auxiliary Cruiser sometimes uses the same inverse-taper pin setup.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by John R.; 09-08-2010, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Likewise the S&L semi-hollow zinc HSF is seen with different setups, sometimes with the inverse-taper wide pin and other times with the needle pin. The catch is sometimes the round wire "question mark" and other times the classic S&L sheet metal catch.

Below you also see the HSF from the same Lüdenscheid sample board as the minesweeper, this time with the needle-pin like Steve's.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Finally, it's worth noting that although this badge was considerably modified to produce the '57 version, S&L still used the same internal trimming tool under the starboard gun as in the wartime version, creating a cutout shape which is unique to the S&L '57 and it's predecessor.

So there you have it - just like the minesweeper and Auxiliary Cruiser badges - the HSF is by S&L, not F&B.

Best regards,
                    ---Norm
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Martin W View Post
                      IMO,this is a good original zinc badge.It certainly has the characteristics of a Foerster & Barth piece.
                      However,it does not display the reverse hardware we usually associate with Foerster & Barth.
                      Still a good badge.
                      Here is one that i have with the "typical" F & B hardware.

Regards,Martin.
                      Thanks for bringing this subject to light again Norm.

Well ,time has changed our opinion on these awards and i agree with you that they are most probably a product of St&L and not Foerster & Barth.

As mentioned, this also applies to the two piece Hilfskreuzer awards that were also once beleived to be a product of F&B,due to the inverse tapered pin.

Regards,Martin.

Comment

Thanks guys,

A really informative and detailed thread.

Regards

Steve

Comment

Here is my zinc S&L HSF in unworn condition but faded in usual manner.
                          Cheers,
                          Hubert
                          Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X