• Show
Clear All

Canadian Vet bring back

Pic 1
    Attached Files

Pic 2
    Attached Files

Comment

A co-worker gave me these recently knowing I like to collect WW2 items. My friend authenticated and identified them as Dutch SS. I do not have unit details of my co-worker's relative that served with the Canadian Army in World War 2, so no "story" to accompany the tabs (although I am working on that). The tabs came with a box of other items, some SS, that he had stored away. I'll post the arm eagle as soon as I can.

thnx
      Dale

Comment

Nice "Landstorm Nederland" tabs! Yes indeed Dutch Waffen SS. Landstorm Nederland was a territorial security unit, which operated primarily in Holland for internal defence!

Comment

Hi Nick! Do you mind if I send you a PM?

ty
          Dale

Comment

Originally posted by SSPolizei View Post
            Hi Nick! Do you mind if I send you a PM?

ty
            Dale
            No problem!
            Here is some unit history for you!
            http://www.waffen-ss.nl/lstormopr-e.php

and here a period picture (out of a period news paper) showing this tab in wear.
            LandStorm (with initial name Landwacht, see motorcycle front plate!) also wore blank tabs and SS tabs, the latter usually transferees from other SS divisions, like Nederland Division veterans and German cadre members.
            Note "Landstorm Nederland"cuff title!
            Attached Files
            Last edited by NickG; 01-25-2008, 12:21 PM.

Comment

another period picture

Here's another period picture of this tab in wear! No cuff titles here...
              Attached Files

Comment

Nice find Dale here Is one I have.
                Cheers
                Dave.
                Attached Files

Comment

reverse
                  Attached Files

Comment

Gorgeous Dave, thanks for sharing. Also, Nick, appreciate the period photos.

Regards
                    DC

Comment

hello DC I've had this one for years. I've always wondered why the insignia was on the rank side tab. Most of the silver finish is missing. Thanks for any info. Kirby
                      Attached Files

Comment

back
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hi Kirby, NickG is the man to ask on this one (if he hasn't pm'ed you allready). He has a good data base of the Dutch SS. Thanks.

Dale

Comment

Those collartabs are used by (Dutch) Landstorm Nederland Waffen SS Units. The 'big' grenade is the one, used by Dutch Police formations WWII.
                            The big one (a collector told me) was made in a silver color for Waffen SS and in brass for Police. Lack of material (1944-1945!) was a reason to paint the brass ones to silver.

The intention of Himmler cs was to bring the Dutch Police under command of the Oberbefehlshaber der Polizei und Waffen SS in den Niederlanden. German Polizei was brougt to Waffen SS command.

I don't know if the move succeded (many older policemen had no intention to be under directly German command, younger policeofficers educated and builded in NS way had no problems with that). A lot of NS-thinking policemen went to Landstorm Nederland (or: were forced to!) and: used the Grenade.

Nice ones! I own identical Kragenspiegel of both forms.

Regards, Kees

Comment

Hello Thanks for the info on the tab. I never thought of it being anything but SS. Did the police wear the insignia on both tab? That would explain the insignia being on a rank side tab. Thanks again Kirby

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X