oorlogsspullen

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windhund Badge Oriqinal vs what the collecting community accepts as real.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windhund Badge Oriqinal vs what the collecting community accepts as real.

I have a passion for the capbadge of the 116th Panzer division. In the last few years a number of 116 capbadges have hit the market that bother me. I have expressed my concerns before, but was told these new badges were found in a museum and are 100% real. Recently I picked up one of these badges in a trade.The story was 3 of them were found in a tailor shop in Austria. On the surface the badges look good. In fact they could be real; but don't look anything like the known originals that I've encountered since the 1970s. Here are some comparison shots of a known original (always on top) vs the new breed. I also placed a negative shot to the right of each badge. Heres a overall comparison. the original is slightly smaller and made from zinc.

Anyway I would like to hear what others think.WR Jim
    Attached Files

heres a shot of the rim and background.
    Attached Files

Comment

A shot of the head.
      Attached Files

Comment

tail
        Attached Files

Comment

front leg
          Attached Files

Comment

Here are a few comparisons of the grass at the bottom. Left side
            Attached Files

Comment

middle section
              Attached Files

Comment

this is the last picture, right side. If you compare each picture and the differences are easily seen. As a general observation the original badge on top has much softer lines to it. The badge on bottom has very sharp edges etc.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by djpool View Post
                  I have a passion for the capbadge of the 116th Panzer division. In the last few years a number of 116 capbadges have hit the market that bother me. I have expressed my concerns before, but was told these new badges were found in a museum and are 100% real. Recently I picked up one of these badges in a trade.The story was 3 of them were found in a tailor shop in Austria. On the surface the badges look good. In fact they could be real; but don't look anything like the known originals that I've encountered since the 1970s. Here are some comparison shots of a known original (always on top) vs the new breed. I also placed a negative shot to the right of each badge. Heres a overall comparison. the original is slightly smaller and made from zinc.

"New Breed" is right. As I stated in an earlier thread, I believe the sharp elbow version is a recent made copy. I've seen lots of them for sale only since around 1995, always like new condition, and they match none of the versions I know of with provenance. Dealer can call it whatever he likes "100% original" "museum find" "vet pick up" heard it all before.

Sincerely,
                  Ray

Comment

Here are a few comparisons of the grass at the bottom. Left side
                    You can see in this photo, (post #6, lower left) the badge was painted with what I think is an unusual method-- first the entire piece was sprayed black, then it was sanded off the surface. Where the ground receeds on the extreme lower left, the paint isn't buffed off. And why were these pieces sprayed with gray paint on the back? To hide the new looking solder maybe?

Ray

Comment

Could we see the back side?

Comment

I never believe that museum crap... everyone says that. Might as well say they found it in a barn.

Comment

Hi WR Jim,
                          I have had this one along time now, flea market find. Notice no lines to neck, collar, holes to each side, would make sense for attaching to side of visor or cap. Made of zinc, pot metal. If you think its bad, then add it to your known fakes. Its not going anywhere, on the market I mean. Very good thread, always wondered when and if they would fake these.
                          Regards,
                          Gary
                          Attached Files

Comment

Well Jim,

As you know, the best way to sell fakes is to sell items with no reference possible, a fashion born some times ago.
                            Collection : http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=807895

Comment

hi everyone,

Ray-it was your comment that prompted me to post this.I figured a stand alone thread would get more members to look.

John, I'LL post some pics of the back later.

Gary, From the pic it looks like one of the worse copies I've seen.

François and K98- Unfortunately there are true stories of finds in museums, etc. A trusted friend in Germany told me they found a stash of insignia within the last month.Mostly common items but also a few dozen pairs of LWFD tabs.
                              I know that a few years ago another stash was found in the former eastern Germany. Problem here is that some dealers continue to use that find to "authenticate" insignia that was never a part of that find.
                              So the real problem is trying to sort fact from fiction IMHO.

wr Jim

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X