No announcement yet.

Help with tropical luft eagle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Concerning the first eagle/shirt shown, its always nice to see the eagle sewn with the same color thread as the rest of the shirt construction (this doesn't seem to be the case here). This may help to determine if the eagle was reapplied later...

Comment

I am curious about the shirt that Fsog has shown. Does that type have the white button sewn to the brown button with button holes on both sides of the shirt --- buttons removable? Is this an "accepted" pattern? Thanks!

Comment

Exaclty ! The shirt has only holes and all the buttons are removable.
        Regards. Pierre

Comment

Both styles were produced, with and without removable buttons. Usually the pull over type has the removable buttons and the opening front have sewn buttons. There are exceptions.
          Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Tough call on the 1st shirt, based only on photos. I agree the eagle has been replaced. As John stated, the repro shirts are getting very scary. A couple of original shirts offered at the SOS remained unsold, and even when offered at reasonable prices as 1 certainly was, most can not tell the difference between good and bad. Not good for the hobby.
            Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Originally posted by John Hodgin View Post
              "that people didn't like at first"

Didn't like at first?!!! I STILL don't like the looks of it but unlike Pierre's eagle, it IS authentic. LOL!

Yes, I wasn't familiar with this one Steve, and I wonder if it was made outside of Germany. It just doesn't have the look that most eagles do, nor the tight embroidery. George Petersen had some authentic foreign produced Luftwaffe eagles that were very strange looking.

John,
              Here is a strange looking bird, is it like the ones George Petersen had? Thanks.
              Regards,
              Fred
              Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

It looks like similar to Petersen's 'foreign made' eagles on Kurtz's book 'Africa Corps'. However by comparing the ones in the book and yours, there are differences in constraction.

Comment

Hi Fred,

I agree with Tony that your eagle is not like the ones George had. It's so unusual impossible to say much about it. I've never seen any like it before. If real, it could even be hand sewn by a POW, or as you suggest, foreign made. Whatever it is, it's beyond my "comfort zone" Any history on it?

Regards,
                    John
                    Esse Quam Videri

Comment

John/Tony,
                      Thanks for the replies.
                      There are a few of these in a lot of tropical eagles that I am working on. Aside from these crude ones, the others all looked good. I'll post a few more tonight.
                      Regards,
                      Fred

Comment

Originally posted by fldjr View Post
                        John/Tony,
                        Thanks for the replies.
                        There are a few of these in a lot of tropical eagles that I am working on. Aside from these crude ones, the others all looked good. I'll post a few more tonight.
                        Regards,
                        Fred
                        Great Fred, good luck! Please post them on the breast eagle thread when you get them.
                        Regards,
                        John
                        Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Hello A interesting thread. I picked up this eagle sunday. It looks like a lot of repos of these tropical eagles. Thanks for any opinions on this one. Thanks Kirby
                          Attached Files

Comment

Back
                            Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X