No announcement yet.

Hilfskreuzer Sterling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And another previously offered by Weitze.

All in all, I've seen 8 examples of this variant posted over time, i.e. silver with no meridian lines and the Type 1 "STERLING" mark.

In comparison, for the other three variants, I've seen:
    4 examples of the silver with meridian lines and Type 2 "STERLING" mark
    2 examples of the silver with meridian lines and Type 3 "STERLING" mark
    3 examples in Tombak with meridian lines, unmarked

to make a total of 17 examples to date with a "web presence". Certainly the variant from the opening post is the most commonly seen of the four types.

Best regards,
    ---Norm
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Norm F; 05-22-2016, 03:29 PM.

Comment

For future reference, here are the three different observed "STERLING" marks

Type 1 - no meridian lines on globe, broadest font, marked below the catch
      Type 2 - meridian lines on globe, compact font, marked above or below the catch
      Type 3 - meridian lines on globe, defective "E", marked above the catch

Aside from the different "STERLING" marks, it can also be seen that Type 1 is the only variant with a post at the stern of the ship, and Type 3 uses a narrower hinge block. Another feature of the Type 1 (no meridian line) variant is the silver-coloured main pin, in contrast to the brass-coloured pin on the the types with meridian lines on the globe.

Best regards,
      ---Norm
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Norm F; 05-22-2016, 10:27 PM.

Comment

The timeline of these different versions is unknown. For what it's worth, here's the Tombak version (which always has meridians) on the left marketed with a document dated January 6, 1943, and the silver version without meridians on the right marketed with a document dated April 1, 1943. Unsure if this means the Tombak version was earlier than the silver version since we can't know if these were always together.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Norm F; 05-22-2016, 03:22 PM.

Comment

It is hard to say which variant came 1st.
          If the tombak badge and the document posted above and signed by Gumprich in Jan.43 are a "true paring" then one would have to think the tombak variants came 1st??
          The later document with the sterling example are signed by Dr Karl Bohme of the Heimstab Ausland in April '43.
          This makes sense in regard to the signatures as Gumprich had taken command of the Michel at this point and the Michel set off on her ill fated 2nd cruise on May 1 '43.

Still a hard one to figure out ?

Regards,Martin.
          Last edited by Martin W; 05-22-2016, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin W View Post
            It is hard to say which variant came 1st.
            If the tombak badge and the document posted above and signed by Gumprich in Jan.43 are a "true pairing" then one would have to think the tombak variants came 1st??
            Still a hard one to figure out ?
            Hi Martin,

A working theory (and I stress just a theory) for a timeline from earliest to latest may be:
            1) Tombak
            2) Type 3 Sterling
            3) Type 2 Sterling
            4) Type 1 Sterling

In that order, the first three have meridian lines, no post at the stern of the ship and brass-coloured main pins, while the last one has no meridian lines, a post at the stern of the ship and a silver-coloured main pin. And the "STERLING" marks would transition from the "defective E" which is always above the catch, through a transition variant with the mark either above or below the catch and the final variant (without meridians) where it's always below the catch.

Mind you, if the two preceding examples paired with documents are correct, then the transition from Tombak with meridians to Sterling without meridians occurred over a 4 month period from January to April, 1943.

Best regards,
            ---Norm

Comment

It's also worth posting again collani's previously posted two photos of the badge in wear.

First the type with meridian lines on a studio photo from Yokohama. Unmistakably the Japanese design and distinctly different from the German design. We can't tell whether it's the Tombak or Sterling type, but the brilliance of the globe maybe suggests silver?
              Attached Files

Comment

Secondly, the type without meridians. No ambiguity here since only the "Type 1" STERLING is without meridians.
                Attached Files

Comment

Nice work Norm.

Cheers,Martin.

Comment

Indeed, great work, very helpful
                    Thank you Norm!
                    Cheers,
                    Hubert

Comment

A few more images for reference. First the eagles of all four types.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Next, the globes of all four types.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Wow, very intersting Norm

Finally the owner wants to sell it via my shop in commission.
                          We talk about the price and then will see......
                          Regards
                          Sascha

Comment

Great work Norm, in fact great thread
                            Best - Greg

Comment

I agree, another great analysis from Norm. John

Comment

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
                                All in all, I've seen 8 examples of this variant posted over time, i.e. silver with no meridian lines and the Type 1 "STERLING" mark.

In comparison, for the other three variants, I've seen:
                                4 examples of the silver with meridian lines and Type 2 "STERLING" mark
                                3 examples in Tombak with meridian lines, unmarked

to make a total of 17 examples to date with a "web presence". Certainly the variant from the opening post is the most commonly seen of the four types.

Best regards,
                                ---Norm
                                Update on frequencies. Now, to date I've seen:
                                4 examples in Tombak with meridian lines, unmarked
                                5 examples of the silver with meridian lines and Type 2 "STERLING" mark
                                8 examples of the silver with no meridian lines and the Type 1 "STERLING" mark

So that's 19 so far -- 4 Tombak and 15 silver

Here's a Tombak example recently offered by Weitze, the 4th one I've seen so far:
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X