No announcement yet.

Why such wide stance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, only ribbon bars have to be worn. It is in the relevant Bundeswehr regulations. I assume it is so not to distract people's toughts and attention from the coffin and the person inside and maybe not to show so obvious that this guard officers are maybe higher decorated.
    What you can not see in this pictures are Adenauer's awards (high civilian awards from Weimarer Republic as well as BRD) left and right of the coffin on cushions.

Regards
    Christian

Comment

Originally posted by -Ray- View Post
      Parade Rest, a modified position of attention.

-Ray-

* I believe you are referring to the illustrations below,,, right?
      Yes. I guess that would explain it. Thanks everybody!

Comment

When standing at full attention with feet together for a long preriod of time if you are not used to it or train for it you will first start to sway and if you are not flexing and relaxing the leg muscles to keep the circulation going you will also get pooling of blood in the lower limbs and reduced circulation to the head and will pass out. By spreading the legs the stance is much more stable and it is much easier to maintain circulation.
        JAndrew

Comment

Originally posted by Seigfried View Post
          What is most interesting though is the use of old WW2 type helmets instead of the BW US style.
          Can nobody shed any light on why they are wearing 1935-45 period helmets as opposed to the US type that the BW was wearing at this point? I have never seen BW wearing these helmets before.

Comment

My guess, and stress the word "guess", is that the BW helmets were heavy steel and I will bet these in the photo were light weight aluminum, fiberglass or plastic so the old timers wouldn't get a sore neck standing in them for so long.
            JAndrew

Comment

Originally posted by JAndrew View Post
              My guess, and stress the word "guess", is that the BW helmets were heavy steel and I will bet these in the photo were light weight aluminum, fiberglass or plastic so the old timers wouldn't get a sore neck standing in them for so long.
              JAndrew
              Not a bad theory - but did the BW helmets not have lightweight liners like the US ones that they could have worn?

Comment

They were one piece affairs. If you google Bundeswehr helmets and go to images you will find several that show the exterior and interior of the helmets.
                JAndrew

Comment

Originally posted by Seigfried View Post
                  Can nobody shed any light on why they are wearing 1935-45 period helmets as opposed to the US type that the BW was wearing at this point? I have never seen BW wearing these helmets before.
                  Check these boys out!

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=517199

Comment

Hi,

the helmets are OK, because it is not Bw but BGS.

Uwe

Comment

To further explain.

The Bundesgrenzschutz wore a derivative style of M35 pattern. This helmet was worn between the late 1950' and early 1970's. Similar style(s) were also worn by West German State Police (when required).

N

Comment

Many thanks for explaining

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X