Bundeswehr in Action from the Early Days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bundeswehr in Action from the Early Days

I found these pictures around the web and thought I'd share them with all our Bundeswehr fans out there in WAF land. I apologize if some have already been posted by it also provides a nice liaison between collectors of the World War II veterans in Bundeswehr service and those who just love the German Army of post World War II Europe. Enjoy

Some shots of Bundeswehr Gebirgsjäger troops from a 1959 issue of Life Magazine

Comment

More Life Magazine shots from 1959

Comment

5th Panzer Division of the Bundeswehr in a 1960 issue:

Comment

Comment

Awesome pix!

There were some great views of the black leather combat belt and black leather Y straps shown in the fourth post.

I always thought that the black leather web gear was borrowed from the BGS, but now I'm wondering if there was a Bundeswehr specific black leather belt and Y strap combination.

Does anyone happen to own a black leather combat belt with open buckle?

All the best - TJ

Comment

I was wondering most about the one picture in the Gebirgsjäger group. Why is the soldier taking aim with his G1 rifle with the dust cover removed? Wouldnt that leave the internal mechanisms exposed to the elements?

Comment

Early BW

Super Pics, thank you very much!

In post 4 there are not only leather y-straps, but backpacks that look a lot
                like WH-Tornister! Awesome!

Best regards

Reiner

Comment

Early BW

TJ,

the black leather belt seems to be the early Garrison Belt.

Best regards

Reiner

Comment

The first two pics are Bungesgrenzschutz, not Bundeswehr.

Comment

Some of the images aren't showing up for me, but the only leather Y-straps I see are on the BGS pictures. Maybe I'm missing something?

In another thread we had some early pictures where Austrian Y-straps were shown in use. There was enough detail to see the stitched on pads for the shoulder portion.

Steve

Comment

Reiner - Thanks for the clarification. It would appear as though some of the trainees had to wear their leather belt from their dress uniform into the field. Presumably, this is the belt that preceeded the current dress belt.

Steve - If you can see the photos of the troops sitting in back of the truck and the photo below it, you'll note that they appear to be wearing leather Y straps, or has Reiner has pointed out, what could be pack straps from a WH-Tornister.

We established earlier that on some occasions BGS leather gear was worn and have at least one color photo to back this up, as well as the Austrian straps in those amazing pictures that I believe Jens posted. We also know that the Austrian Bundesheer used the same plastic molded canteen as the early BW.

For me anyway, a dyed in the wool field gear guy, leather gear worn by the BW and not attributed to the BGS or Austrians is ground breaking stuff. I 'll be driven to distraction until I find out what it is! Of course once I find out what it is, I'll want a set, and spend another decade or so trying to find it....

All the best - TJ
                        Last edited by Thomas J. Cullinane Jr.; 05-24-2011, 05:38 AM.

Comment

I really find the pic with all the troops that are carrying N0.4 Enfields interesting. I heard somewhere that the Luftwaffe(?) had alot of those issued to them early on?

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas J. Cullinane Jr. View Post
                            Reiner - Thanks for the clarification. It would appear as though some of the trainees had to wear their leather belt from their dress uniform into the field. Presumably, this is the belt that preceeded the current dress belt.

Steve - If you can the photos of the troops sitting in back of the truck and the photo below it, you'll note that they appear to be wearing leather Y straps, or has Reiner has pointed out, what could be pack straps from a WH-Tornister.

We established earlier that on some occasions BGS leather gear was worn and have at least one color photo to back this up, as well as the Austrian straps in those amazing pictures that I believe Jens posted. We also know that the Austrian Bundesheer used the same plastic molded canteen as the early BW.

For me anyway, a dyed in the wool field gear guy, leather gear worn by the BW and not attributed to the BGS or Austrians is ground breaking stuff. I 'll be driven to distraction until I find out what it is! Of course once I find out what it is, I'll want a set, and spend another decade or so trying to find it....

All the best - TJ
                            A very devoted and dedicated collector you are Thomas. I admire your dedication to the hobby

Comment

Heres a couple more:

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X