S&L Showroom circa 1940/1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brian S View Post
    But if the walls say S&L, I'm guessing it's the S&L show room. That's not a great point to argue against.
    Well put
    Best regards,
    Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

jaeger7-de,
      Do any of your photos have a date on them? That would certainly help.

Dietrich,
      Both Adolf Galland and Werner Molders were awarded the Swords in June, 1941. Although, as you indicated, the "official creation" was published in September, 1941, actual awards preceded that date.

Brian,
      All this, as you have correctly said, is pure conjecture. Just as a point of reference, however, the catalog shows only products they were producing at some point in 1941. We don't know exactly what they may have produced later, or when production of certain items may have begun, as there is no catalog that we have seen after that time frame.

Comment

Originally posted by jaeger7-de View Post
        Hi to all,

I have no idea if Steinhauer produced PlMs before 1945 - but I have the photographic proof that they sold them.
        I possess a group of photos from their show-room (early 1940's) - and there is a PlM on display.

Regards

jaeger7-de
        Great picture!! I wish we could see the award cases better though.

This picture wouldn't be prior to March 1941 (or much before if it was), as I can see some first pattern LDO cartons and boxes.

KR

Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by Leroy View Post
          Dietrich,
          Both Adolf Galland and Werner Molders were awarded the Swords in June, 1941. Although, as you indicated, the "official creation" was published in September, 1941, actual awards preceded that date.
          I know
          However, I would think that S&L (or any other company) would not bring a catalog into circulation with an order that was not even founded. It is one thing when Hitler awards non founded grades of the Iron Cross - it is a complete different thing when a medal producer does it ...
          B&D PUBLISHING
          Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

Is there any chance you could enlarge this portion of the photo, please.

KR

Marcus
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Dietrich Maerz View Post
              It is one thing when Hitler awards non founded grades of the Iron Cross - it is a complete different thing when a medal producer does it ...

Just like when manufacturers were selling Grand Crosses before Hermann even got his!

Comment

Originally posted by VtwinVince View Post
                I find the interior of this room to look far too 'modern' to date to 1940's Germany. I think the display cases and lighting look much more like something from a later date. Just my feeling.

My thoughts too. Me thinks someone is playing Mr.Photoshop on us again

Comment

Originally posted by Darrell View Post
                  My thoughts too. Me thinks someone is playing Mr.Photoshop on us again
                  Nah, it's rather reminiscent of the period in the ''modern'' sense; where do you think Ikea get many of their furniture/lighting range idea's from for one.....the 1950's.

Besides, the first pattern range of the LDO series wasn't in existence for very long before the second series came into fruition and hence they discontinued several of the first series examples.

KR

Marcus

Comment

Marcus, could you show us a comparison of the short term first pattern LDO next to a later pattern to see the difference? Blurry and from 7 feet would be helpful

Something that bothers me is the presence of the China Denkmunze. Was it still a legally worn award after Japan became an allie?
                    Last edited by Brian S; 02-04-2010, 11:15 AM.

Comment

@ Darrell - no way babe, I am not Mr. Photoshop.

Here is one more for those who do not believe it is a S&L outlet store...

I do have five pics, numbered on the back 1 to 5, no date, and all are clued into a card-board album.

Regards

jaeger7-de

Comment

Great!

Of course this is no Photoshop job. There is absolutely nothing architecturally, aesthetically or stylistically in that first photo to suggest it was later than WWII.

Boy, these are some great photos.
                        Best regards,
                        Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

The handouts in the lower right should date this photo.
                          Last edited by Brian S; 02-04-2010, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Those handouts look like they have the Arts & Sciences Prize on the cover, as was used by Dr. Doehle for the cover of his book. If they are handouts for his book, we need to remember that there was more than one edition (different years).

Comment

Originally posted by jaeger7-de View Post
                              @ Darrell - no way babe, I am not Mr. Photoshop.
                              I wasn't implying that YOU were. I'm just curious of the origin of these pictures. Do you know? Or did you take them?

Comment

Originally posted by Brian S View Post
                                Something that bothers me is the presence of the China Denkmunze. Was it still a legally worn award after Japan became an allie?
                                YES it was, and I'm pretty sure Steinhauer & Lück actually MADE these at some point, even if they're not in a 1939 catalogue pictured. There's no reason to assume they would not have made (or at least offered) them, and honestly, I believe they made them.

There might be other things on the display that were made somewhere else, of course.
                                sigpic

Visit www.woeschler-orden.de, updated each 1st and 15th a month!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X