S&l ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S&l ??

These are currently being sold as coming from a S&L salesboard.

http://www.emedals.ca/catalog.asp?newitems

There's a well-known photo of Hasso von Manteuffel wearing a set of elongated swords like these.

I wonder why these would have been made so different from the standard type ??
    Attached Files

I wondered where they went, quite a few of these "saleboards" were on auction a couple of months back. Myself and a friend bid on all of the lots and didn't win a thing. A lot of the awards were S&L but not all.

Sorry to hijack your thread Robin

I've owned a pair of Swords exactly like the ones you show..
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Dave-B; 10-18-2008, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Mine were also attached to a Type A S&L RK.
      Attached Files

Comment

I photographed all of the boards...

Here is the RK board..
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Dave-B; 10-18-2008, 01:41 PM. Reason: typo!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave-B View Post
          I photgraphed all of the boards...

Here is the RK board..
          I suppose this begs the question. When did S&L put this "saleboard" together?

Comment

The standard postcard of a bareheaded Walter Oesau in flying
            jacket shows his elongated swords clearly.This would date from
            about early ,41.
            Seiler.(Yank in UK)

Comment

Originally posted by Darrell View Post
              That's what I was wondering.

There are items on these boards from 1944, by which time sale of the OL&S was forbidden.

So why have them on a 'saleboard'?

Wasn't there some story that these boards were put together after the war as souvenirs for GIs?

Still................the von Manteuffel photo shows that these elongated swords were definitely worn during the war............and by a ranking General at that.

They shouldn't have been issued officially, so he must have bought them, presumably. When sale of them was forbidden.

Very odd.

Comment

Exactly!

The story I was told was that all of the boards were collected at the end of the war by a British Intelligence officer and that the boards were made up by S&L for souvenir hunters.

Comment

The whole idea of a "surviving" Salesboard sends alarm bells off in my mind. Especially one with 3 RK's and 2 DKs. The Capitalistic instincts of any mortal would have these taken off and sold them separately eons ago ...

Comment

I believe there is a photo in one of the War Booty books showing a British serviceman with some TR awards pinned to his tunic with one award being an RK with a pair of these elongated Swords attached...anyone got this book?

Comment

The whole idea of a "surviving" Salesboard sends alarm bells off in my mind. Especially one with 3 RK's and 2 DKs. The Capitalistic instincts of any mortal would have these taken off and sold them separately eons ago ...

Well apparently the boards were in the possession of the officer till earlier this year (so I was told).

Comment

Originally posted by Dave-B View Post
                        I believe there is a photo in one of the War Booty books showing a British serviceman with some TR awards pinned to his tunic with one award being an RK with a pair of these elongated Swords attached...anyone got this book?
                        Yes................you're right. The serviceman is decorated up like a Christmas Tree with RKs, KVKs, DKs etc. galore. It's an IWM picture. Shows these elongated swords.

Comment

One of the early Johnson daggers books has this photo.
                          Seiler

Comment

The Capitalistic instincts of any mortal would have these taken off and sold them separately.
                            That's just what the dealers have done!

Compare this with the picture Dave posted above.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Robin Lumsden View Post
                              That's just what the dealers have done!

Compare this with the picture Dave posted above.
                              Any ideas why "authentic" RK w/Oaks = $13k and "authentic" RK w/ Oaks and Swords = $19k?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X