Comment

Jeff,
        Congratulations on a superb example.

Chet
        Zinc stinks!

Comment

RK des KvK

Originally posted by robert pierce View Post
          As far back as the early 80's the RK des KvK was around $1,000 and was vauled more highly than the standard RK of the Iron Cross. Today, that is not the case. The RK of the Iron Cross has more than doubled in value when compared to its War Merit Cousin.

Regards,
          Jody

Jody,

Could this be because of the many copies on the market today steering people away from this award, them not really wanting to take the chance on buying something that may not be original, as this award certainly is? I've seen very good copies of this.

Robert
          <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
          Hi Robert,
          I didn't mean to hijack Jeff's thread, so I am sorry.

Maybe fakes play a role, but there are good copies of RKs, DKs, SS decals, Fj helmets, etc, and I don't see people shying away from those things.

Once you have seen and examined a real RK des KvK copies are easy to spot. Luckily the fakes of this award are far from perfect.

The example Jeff has is a textbook Deschler.

Regards,
          Jody

Comment

Beautiful

Comment

"Hi Jeff,
              That is a lovely cross and it matches my example. I must say that these RK des KvKs are really under priced and they are terrific awards. I am glad you are now a member of the RK des KvK club!

Here is my award:
              http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ght=RK+des+KvK

Regards,
              Jody"

Hello Jody,

No, It DOES NOT match your example at all. Yes it is a lovely cross, but current research suggests that is clearly an example of the heavier and scarcer 2nd Strike Deschler 900 without swords that was issued after March/ April 1944.

Your wonderful cross is the lighter and more detailed 1st strike Deschler 900 without swords that was issued between 1942 & early 1944. There are many obvious differences between the two other than just the weight difference including the numeral font, the angle of the swastica, the absence of the die flaws and the different upper & lower wreath ribbing.

Best Regards,
              Michael

Comment

Hi Michael,

Well spotted, I have had another look at Jeffs cross that started this thread and also Jodys cross and yes you are 100% right, it is not like Jodys cross at all. I have always liked the RK KvKs and having a look at past WAF threads notice that there are clearly two different types of the Deschler 900 both of which have been deemed authentic by experienced WAF members. I have read that Dietrich Maerz is putting out a book on the KVK 1st Class and higher soon that will undoubtably give some more information on these two crosses and I'm looking forward to reading more about them.

You also say that the second strike RK KvK without swords is the heavier of the two but other threads on the WAF state that the first strike model was the heavier one. Is this correct and can you clarify this??? It doesn't seem right to me that if the original dies were damaged or destroyed that they would make the second type heavier???.

Cheers,
                Shaneos

Comment

Originally posted by shaneos3 View Post
                  Hi Michael,

Well spotted, I have had another look at Jeffs cross that started this thread and also Jodys cross and yes you are 100% right, it is not like Jodys cross at all. I have always liked the RK KvKs and having a look at past WAF threads notice that there are clearly two different types of the Deschler 900 both of which have been deemed authentic by experienced WAF members. I have read that Dietrich Maerz is putting out a book on the KVK 1st Class and higher soon that will undoubtably give some more information on these two crosses and I'm looking forward to reading more about them.

You also say that the second strike RK KvK without swords is the heavier of the two but other threads on the WAF state that the first strike model was the heavier one. Is this correct and can you clarify this??? It doesn't seem right to me that if the original dies were damaged or destroyed that they would make the second type heavier???.

Cheers,
                  Shaneos
                  I've always considered the heavier was the earlier version.

Chris

(looking for early K & Q RK)

Comment

I have seen and own an earlier, heavy type that is completely unmarked, although obviously made of silver.

Bob Hritz
                    In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Very nice

Underappreciated for certain award! I had a chance to get one recently but blew it!!

Comment

Here are the two versions side by side,
                        The early 'light' on the left and later 'heavy' on the right.
                        In my opinion also, a very under-rated medal since they were awarded so sparingly,
                        Michael
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hello ChrisJ,

This KvK RK weight difference issue has been confusing people since day one.
                          A quick search on the WAF tells us that both Marcus Hatton's and stukapilots 'earlier' versions weigh in at around 33.8 grams and the 'later' version at around
                          36.5 grams. There is also a great comparison photo of the two wreaths side by side by member Flemming and I have thrown together a photo showing the weights of the Deschler 900 'earlier' version on the left, the 'later' version in the middle and the version with swords at the right.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=558777

Best Regards,
                          Michael
                          Attached Files

Comment

A quick search on the WAF tells us that both Marcus Hatton's and stukapilots 'earlier' versions weigh in at around 33.8 grams and the 'later' version at around
                            36.5 grams. There is also a great comparison photo of the two wreaths side by side by member Flemming and I have thrown together a photo showing the weights of the Deschler 900 'earlier' version on the left, the 'later' version in the middle and the version with swords at the right.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=558777
                            Hi Michael,
                            Thanks for that - very interesting & great photos of a medal held in such high esteem and only awarded a handful of times. The other thread you point out also has some great photos of this award. It seems that if around 8000 Knights Crosses to the Iron Cross were awarded vs around 300 Knights Cross to the War Merit Crosses awarded then you will see about 25 RKs of the Iron Cross for every RK KvK found.
                            Cheers,
                            Shaneos

Comment

Great that this thread is up again with the extra information. For me nothing beats an RK, but these are wonderful pieces. I am reminded of the famous colour shot of Hitler reviewing a vehicle with various others present including a Nazi official (whose name escapes me) sporting his Rk of the KvK without swords.

Comment

RK des KvK

Hello,
                                That is a blast from the past (I forgot about this thread). Thanks for the information. For the record, my RK des KvK is one of my favorite pieces and I prefer it to my RK.

Regards,
                                Jody

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X