Lakeside Trader - 2nd Banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! How to carry a first type breadbag?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is a more detailed description and look at the FuG 6 (KL 9):

http://deposit.d-nb.de/ep/netpub/9x/...nnen/fug6.html

And some more in the form of a PDF:

http://deposit.d-nb.de/ep/netpub/9x/...ennen/fug6.pdf

Notice this particular quote from the first link:

Das Gerät wird beim BGS Mitte des Jahres 1956 dahingegen erwähnt, das die Auslieferung in Kürze anlaufen soll.
    I think this is important because one of the only pictures of BGS Splittertarn smocks in use has 3 members wearing the FuG 6 KL 9 radio. This means the picture was from no earlier than 1956. Interestingly they are wearing leather belts, not the special web belt. I really wish there was a picture of BGS wearing such a belt.

Steve

Comment

Steve,

Thanks for the photo and the pdf of the manual. The manual shows the battery pack as being attached to the leather belt and the battery pack itself has two hooks on the back to do this. Perhaps, in the picture you mention, the battery packs are being carried the same way as shown in the manual. Especially since you say the BGS soldiers in the picture are wearing leather belts.
      The photo shows yet another configuration for the battery pack with a leather strap on a leath case for carrying the battery pack.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

It works, but I had to lenghten the strap.

Comment

Frank - Oustanding reconstruction!

You are the only collector I know who has the early oliv combat belt with the open face buckle. My congratulations on a fine set-up. I know first hand what a time consuming process it is to get everything just right. Thanks for sharing your pictures with us. Like Michel W. before you, you pay close attention to detail. You can't get images like this anywhere else.

On the subject of thanks, my hat's off to all who contributed to this highly informative thread. I had no idea that the olive drab / pine green version of the early web belt was designed to support a specific piece of communications gear.

I also appreciate the collaborative effort that resulted in unraveling the technique for carrying the first model small combat pack on the back. Like the use of the M1A1 in the Bundeswehr, this arrangement also had me puzzled for many a year. I had previously thought that the Soldiers removed the pack straps from the large combat pack (rucksack) and attached them to the small one. Now I know better.

Great stuff!

All the best - TJ

Comment

I second what TJ has said! So many small mysteries to solve

And my congratulations to Frank for the following:

1. The open faced belt (as TJ said, this is VERY rare!)
            2. Very nice 1st Model helmet.
            3. The most excellent mess kit strap. Why these are so hard to find... I'll never know!

The rest is very good too, of course

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Collectinsteve View Post
              3. The most excellent mess kit strap. Why these are so hard to find... I'll never know!
              Steve ain`t that a normal "Rödelriemen" (standard packing strap) ?? O.k., hard to find if you wan´t one made in the 50ies, but dated in the early 60ies they are quite easy to get ... !!

Regards,

Jens

Comment

HI Jens,

Is it the same strap? Usually the pack straps are not as long as the mess kit strap, but I don't know anything about the early BW straps. I just know I don't have any

I have a 1960s mess kit strap in thick gray leather, which is the same type of leather found on the backpacks. It appears to be designed specifically for the mess kit, though I don't know anything about these straps either.

Steve

Comment

Up to now I did not notice a special strap for the messkit ... while BGS, ZB and whomever messkits randomly appear with a leather strap comparable to the WH strap none of the many BW items I´ve seen over the years had one. One reason may be that the messkit should be carried in the small battlepack and not tied to the outside at least in the later periods .... maybe your grey leather strap is from the early age displayed by Frank as the first G3 pouches are also of grey leather ?!?!

Regards,

Jens

Comment

There are 2 different types of straps. They are different in the buckles.

On my pics you can see one type on the mess tin and one on the tent section.

I will try to make detaild pics but I am on tour until Saturday.

Comment

Gentlemen,

For compparison between the way the first type bread bag was carried and Jens comment about the mess kit being carrid internally instead of externally here is a picture from a manual that I took from else where on the forum. Dated 1978 I believe.

Regards,

Gordon
                      Attached Files

Comment

Very interesting!

BUt he is carrying the Gas Mask Bag on the right side. And the Kleine Kampftasche as a backpack. Nice.

Comment

That gasmask looks familiar...

Nice set-up!

Originally posted by hoover View Post

Comment

Looks like a very happy mannequin

Nice setup ... colors and even condition match perfectly

Comment

Hi Gran Sasso/Patrick.

No, yours is already traded for some other items.
                              I have only 4 left of the early cans and 3 of the 59 type.

But I am still looking.

Comment

Originally posted by Collectinsteve View Post
                                Here is a more detailed description and look at the FuG 6 (KL 9):

http://deposit.d-nb.de/ep/netpub/9x/...nnen/fug6.html

And some more in the form of a PDF:

http://deposit.d-nb.de/ep/netpub/9x/...ennen/fug6.pdf

Notice this particular quote from the first link:

I think this is important because one of the only pictures of BGS Splittertarn smocks in use has 3 members wearing the FuG 6 KL 9 radio. This means the picture was from no earlier than 1956. Interestingly they are wearing leather belts, not the special web belt. I really wish there was a picture of BGS wearing such a belt.

Steve
                                In this thread and some others on the forum, comments have been made that the BGS wore the green belt made from a canvas type material. Like you comment above, I have never seen this belt in wear by the BGS. Only the leather one. You referred to a picture above by saying; "one of the only pictures of BGS Splittertarn smocks in use has 3 members wearing the FuG 6 KL 9 radio. Interestingly they are wearing leather belts, not the special web belt. I really wish there was a picture of BGS wearing such a belt." I am going to post this picture below to illustrate what you have said. The battery pack for the FuG 6 appears to be worn by suspending it from a leather strap over the shoulder. I to would like to see one of these green belts being worn by a BGS soldier. The only place I have seen a belt similar to the green canvas type belt in wear was by the BW. I have been told that their belt was grey and not green. To illustrate this point I have borrowed a picture from the recent FJ thread.
                                What I would really like to see is a colour photo of a BW soldier from the 1955/56 period wearing one of these grey belts. Hopefully someone can provide that.

Regards,

Gordon
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X