• Show
Clear All

Name that clown!
    Mametz

Comment

Originally posted by mametz View Post
      Name that clown!
      Mametz
      He's been named and shamed here already. Here's the thread and some links to his site. I don't know if it's funny or tragic.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=464867

Comment

Originally posted by JamesUS View Post
        There was no Otto Hoffman maker that made badges during the 3rd Reich - So, consequently, any badge with that maker is fake.

Not quite clear on whether or not Hoffman made anything, or was just a catchy, German sounding name the fakers dreamed up.
        Interesting, i doubt it though, more like a "slight" adaption of the Only maker who was actually allowed to make Hitlerjugend Badges in early 1932. (Verordnungsblatt December 1931) OTTO BAUDERMANN from ERLBACH was his name... so, not a far cry from Hoffmann

Comment

Originally posted by JamesUS View Post
          There was no Otto Hoffman maker that made badges during the 3rd Reich - So, consequently, any badge with that maker is fake.
          Not quite true, there was a Third Reich Manufacturer called OTTO HOFFMANN, and he did make HJ, BDM and DJ items. Of course these Multicolored pins are Fantasy, but the name is not fantasy, and therefore it`s not correct to make such a statement that .. [consequently, any badge with that maker is fake.]

Comment

Yep, Jos F. has done some homework. And he did found proof that the firm existed during that specific time. If this is written black and white in an RZM verordnungsblatt we must take this new fact serious. Now only find a way to pick out a possible real Otto Hoffmann out of a pile of fakes.

Regards, Wim
            Freedom is not for Free

Comment

Originally posted by Wim Vangossum View Post
              Yep, Jos F. has done some homework. And he did found proof that the firm existed during that specific time. If this is written black and white in an RZM verordnungsblatt we must take this new fact serious. Now only find a way to pick out a possible real Otto Hoffmann out of a pile of fakes.

Regards, Wim
              edit: Wim, it was in the 1939 UNIFORM=MARKT not verordnungsblatt

Hi Wim, i would like to connect him to the Metal industry first, or at least some form of Metalleffekten at least, as the advert is only for HJ/BDM cloth items.

I must also add, that i have never really paid any Otto Hoffmann badges any attention because of the Stigma that surrounds him, i also thought for many years that this subject was well researched and the outcome was that no such maker existed, so i never bothered to look, but now it seems that these comments have just been spread around the world on Hearsay, and not on actual research, which is not surprising really.

I don't see how any Colored badge could even be debated... but a red one, well if a good enough one turned up.... maybe... at least we now know that it is not a fantasy name, so that's the first step

I must also add, that this will be a touchy subject, as collectors have it impregnated into their heads that no such name existed, and therefore wont be willing to accept any Otto badge as a "Possibility".
              This works the other way around too, for example the Braunschweig RAD round badge that is in the Cone 1983 book with a fantasy story, and in the 2010 Hüsken..all as good, when recent detailed research has now proven that that particular Unit never existed.. and therefore the badges which collectors have always thought were good, are all fantasy unit-names.

No matter what becomes of this in the future, it should be a clear indication that Detailed, independent research is needed in many more areas of the Hobby, as lots of the "Info" out there now is plain rubbish, speculation and a combination of Copy and Paste experts who relied on other copy and paste experts for their answers.

am i pointing fingers at certain individuals? Perish the thought, this is something we are all guilty of !
              Last edited by Jo Rivett; 07-09-2011, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Did Otto Hoffmann make HJ membership badges after all?

Comment

Well, I'm grateful to Joe F. for the research and correction. Otto Hoffmann doesn't appear in the M1 RZM licenses, so if they did anything other than HJ cloth, it was pre-RZM and post the introduction of the HJ diamond. - a short time indeed.

These "skittles-coloured" HJ badges are certainly bad as bad can be - looking forward to more information to see if Hoffmann ever produced anything metal.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X