• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gregM View Post
    I don't really know if it's good or bad. However the more I look at it,
    the more it reminds me of the soft details found on the fake "short 7"
    style 1870s.
    Did any of those fake "short 7" style 1870s have frames that are identical to the original 1870 frames?

Even if someone would cast an iron core(which I doubt), where would they get the dies for the frames, ...frames are die stamped not cast and from the big picture Greg posted, as much as I am able to see with a clarity of that picture - looks to me that the frames are identical, it has the same amount of beads in the marked area that is visible on Tony's cross and also the angle of beads is slightly tilted to the right, beading on the cross has other identifiable characteristics, but Tony's picture not close enough to see it.
    Attached Files

Comment

Is yours painted Alik? Hard to tell from pics. Paint makes the details a lot weaker.

Greg> Is Tonys painted? Does not look like it.

Comment

Carl,
        I can't tell if Tony's is painted or not---The pictures I posted are all I
        have of it.

Alikn,
        I was not trying to suggest that your cross was made by the same
        person using the same frames as the fake 1870s. I was mearly pointing
        out that the soft details might indicate a problem.

I don't know if this cross is good or bad. Considering the lack of responce
        to this thread, I think most others don't know either and are afraid to voice
        an opinion. I like the look of the frame. I like the fact that the core seems
        to match the style of one belonging to one of our most well respected collectors.
        I am put off by the soft details of that same core.

Comment

There is no doubt that your cross is the same as Tony's, Alik.

I think that Tony's is accepted as a good piece, Tony is an advanced collector with a discerning eye and a lot of experience, and thus I think you can be 100% happy with your cross.
          Best regards,
          Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

did anybody see if the frame is casted or pressed out an stamped silver frame ?

Comment

Originally posted by Montgomery Burns View Post
              did anybody see if the frame is casted or pressed out an stamped silver frame ?
              Maybe Alik himself can answer that?
              Best regards,
              Streptile

Comment

Frames are die stamped, l looked under a microscope and no evidence of casting, actually it would be very hard to cast anything that thin,
                ...does anyone have an example of a cast frame?
                The core has some kind of black lacquer or paint and looks that it was done later maybe to refresh it, there is some gunk between core and frame and it has that black lacquer on it, and there is some more gunk and wear which is already on top of the lacquer, so I think the owner at some point in time had it done to make it look nicer.

Comment

Is the core ferrous (magnetic), Alik?
                  Best regards,
                  Streptile

Comment

Originally posted by streptile View Post
                    Is the core ferrous (magnetic), Alik?
                    Yes.

Comment

Here are the pictures of other six 1813 Prinzens from Carl's database.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Alikn View Post
                          Frames are die stamped, l looked under a microscope and no evidence of casting, actually it would be very hard to cast anything that thin,
                          ...does anyone have an example of a cast frame?
                          The core has some kind of black lacquer or paint and looks that it was done later maybe to refresh it, there is some gunk between core and frame and it has that black lacquer on it, and there is some more gunk and wear which is already on top of the lacquer, so I think the owner at some point in time had it done to make it look nicer.
                          jewellers had the service off re plating the crosses ,,
                          my guess is they wood also re blacken the core to ,,

cording to Stephan Previtera's book 20 % off these crosses can be casted .
                          (page 30/31)

regards kay

Comment

Originally posted by Montgomery Burns View Post
                            cording to Stephan Previtera's book 20 % off these crosses can be casted .
                            (page 30/31)

regards kay
                            Yes, but those were very early first frames, not two part construction thin frames and not in prinzen size.

...what I meant was - had anybody seen a fake of regular two part construction frame iron cross with cast in silver frames?
                            Last edited by AlikN; 10-17-2010, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Didn't get any 'welcome to the club' with my prinzen ...........,
                              How about this full size late 1830's+ ek-2.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X