R.K. Minesweeper Makers' Mark Variants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R.K. Minesweeper Makers' Mark Variants

An older posting questioning the different look of makers' marks on the RK minesweepers, prompted me to examine all the images I had of these badges. Based on my observations I was able to classify the badges into 4 categories based on makers' marks. I've explained my breakdown in this first image, followed by additional images of the different examples. I'm open to suggestions and changes, particularly if different variants can be identified.

Tony (NJ)
    Last edited by entasis; 04-24-2005, 07:22 PM.

Level 2

Examples of Level 2 maker's marks.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by entasis; 04-24-2005, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Level 3

Examples of the Level 3 maker's mark.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by entasis; 04-24-2005, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Level 4

Examples of the Level 4 maker's mark.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by entasis; 04-24-2005, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Interesting. I have also noticed all of those RK variations and have wondered about them.

Here is another variant to throw into the mix. It is on a silver plated tombak badge. It is serif letters...but with no periods behind the letters. Also, it seems to be located at the 2.5 level.
          Attached Files
          Visit my Badge Collection: http://lbmilitaria.homestead.com/home.html

Comment

I once had an RK with a double hit maker mark though it has long departed ways with me. I don't know the reason why the different maker marks maybe different reverse dies like the AGMK Close Combat Clasp? ~ED

Comment

Hi entasis,

Interesting. My example is a tombak example with "level 2" marking. What may be useful is if the reverses of the badges are posted. Hinge/pin/catch type and badge basemetal may give a clue as to whether the MM changed with time or whether used. Another possibility may be different alignment of the reverse die during different batch runs.

Regards
              Mike K
              Regards
              Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

entasis,

I have noticed the difference in locations before, but not the lettering stylization. Here's two, the zinc on the left I sold a couple of years ago to Yuri D. and it resold later on the e-stand. Not sure if it's the same as the one you show in post #4 (right), but I remember the maker's mark was lower on that zinc badge than the buntmetal one below. Unfortunately, that is the only PIC I have left of the old zincer.
                Tim
                Attached Files

Comment

Here's the mark on the buntmetal one.

Tim
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts. I've finally posted the Level 2 examples and updated the first 'explanatory' image. I've also located the the original thread, initiated by association member 'stong', which inspired my investigation.

<http: //www.wehrmacht-awards.net/forums/showthread.php?t="14163&highlight=rk+minesweeper"> </http:>http://www.wehrmacht-awards.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14163&highlight=rk+minesweeper

@Lorenzo: great insight. I noticed that I had two unidentified "sans-period" examples for Level 2 and as you may notice, I've already updated the first 'explanatory' image and fixed the examples for Level 2.

@Ed: Unfortunately, I'm not as well versed in manufacturing techniques nor the peculiarities of the CCC as you are (btw, thanks for your comments on my ms.FCL) but look forward to any additional comments you may have.

@Tim: I found the original photo and indeed you initially posted a badge in image 4. In addition, I did notice that the first badge in the first image IS your buntmetal. If you have any objections, I'll remove them.

@Mike: Indeed a full reverse would be ideal for comparisons. However, I would be apprehensive about posting full pictures without the owners' consent. As in the aforementioned response to Tim, I posted one of his badges without evening knowing it. In addition, some images were from commercial sites. Nonetheless, in stong's original thread, it was correctly pointed out that the number of waves differed in the variant examples. Perhaps I'll return to examine this feature and note observeable patterns.

Last edited by entasis; 04-24-2005, 04:58 PM.

Comment

This is a great thread

I've always noticed the differences in the fonts of these R.K. Minesweepers. I am the proud owner of the level 3 (or block letters w/ periods) Minesweeper Badge

Comment

Hello, Tony! This is mine. May be this is 3th level (or 3,5th ). But the design of the letters is similar on level 4.

Comment

Tony,
                          Great job! Could we have photos of the eagle per type/level. It looks like the lower the level the less crisp the "splash " outline. I would expect to see slightly less detail on the obverse as the 'RK' drops also. ~Ed

Comment

RK Minesweeper Wave Count

Here's a summary of the wave or ripple count by variants described elsewhere. I should explain that I count from the knot tying the bottom of the wreath straight up to the base of the plume and ignore those waves 'behind' the plume.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by entasis; 04-24-2005, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Tony,

No problem on using any of my PICS, but thanks for asking! I think you're correct that the level 4 in your post 4 is the maker's mark off that zinc badge I sold sometime back. The photo looks like one of mine and the mark is very familiar.

I don't think the shot in your first post, level 2 is mine though, the dirt spot is similar, but in a slightly different position and yours is missing a little die flaw that mine has at the 11 o'clock position. Very close though!
                              Tim

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X