G. Prien's signature authentic ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

G. Prien's signature authentic ?

Hi guys, I'd like to buy this Prien signed pic and would much appreciate it if you could give me your opinions. He did not sign much because he died early in the war and his signature is not hard to fake. Therein lies my worry.

Thank you guys for your time.
    Attached Files

Hello there,

I think you would need to post a close-up and large photo of his signature to get any results.

William Kramer
    Please visit my site: https://wehrmacht-militaria.com/

Comment

A better shot would be good, but I think this is a good one.

Comment

Originally posted by VtwinVince View Post
        A better shot would be good, but I think this is a good one.
        I disagree. I would be very wary of this one.
        Max.

Comment

Thanks a bunch for your opinions. Actually Prien's signature is not that hard to fake and an authentic one costs a bundle so its a bit like going through a minefield. Anyway, here's the requested close-up shot in case it merits more opinions.
          Again, I truly apprecite you guys taking the time to help me out.
          Attached Files

Comment

Its a wellknown postwar fake signature!
            With modern ink .

0 Cent !

Comment

Minefield indeedPretty convincing attempt.

Comment

Any good?

Hi guys,

Views on these ones please... I am not convinced....

Anybody have a good one for comparison?

Thanks
                Attached Files

Comment

Gentlemen,

I don't like the three Prien examples shown above in this thread.

I don't like the Dönitz one neither.

Dönitz's hand written signature didn't look that sharp at all !, the one that is used here, looks more like the stamped version that is used on documents such as the UBootskriegsabzeichen, EK.2 and EK.1.

Compare the Dönitz signature that is shown here above, with pre-war signatures up to 1939 and early 1940 on award documents, and the ones on promtotions, up to the signatures on DKiG documents.

The ones shown here do have that Company of Fakes fabricated smell all over them.

yours friendly

Eric-Jan

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremy View Post

Anybody have a good one for comparison?

Thanks
                    Here's a genuine full Prien signature.
                    Max.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks

Thanks Max and Eric-Jan. You have reinforced my concerns about the two I posted.

As Argieboy says, I expect Prien is fairly easy for a forger to copy. I expect there are some clippings somewhere

If anybody has some other docs with a Prien sig, is it possible to see them for further comparison?

J

Comment

Jeremy, here are a couple of examples. First one is from a letter to my grandfather, dated Christmas, 1940. The second one is in a frame, hence the crappy scan.
                        Attached Files

Comment

More sigs

Thanks for the further two examples VtwinVince. It helps me a lot to notice similarities and differences. The problem for me is that Prien's sig is not so complex and a good forger could produce something that is near the mark... However, the two I posted have certain similarities which are not evident in the authentic examples.

Here are more for comparison. All of these examples shown in this post come from Korlin and Frost - the ubiquitous clipping from the fake factory is there as usual. Say no more

BTW this is a nice site to browse (nothing for sale) if you have an interest in Prien:

http://priens-u-boat-site.webs.com/apps/photos/
                          Attached Files

Comment

good ones?

Any thoughts on these three, please?

I think the large Willrich with text on the right is OK...

For the text on the left above the drawing, looking at the way Gunther is written, it is different to the two posted by Max and VtwinVince. So, I have doubts...

I am a little dubious about the sig on the photo on the bottom left... appreciate opinions, please.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Man, this is a real problem with all these iffy sigs. I agree with you on the Willrich card with text, it has the typical style of dating that he used. The others I'm not so sure of

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X