Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Cap Tally in collection

I received today, my 3rd light cruiser cap tally:

I observed ribbon base is made from a different material than others I have and is about 1mm less large. What are the materials used in metalfaden tallies ribbons?

Regards,

Ricardo

You have three nice common kreuzer Mützenbander there.
    There is an interesting pinned thread, have you checked it out?
    Can't remember off hand if Dani mentioned the thread composition of Metalfaden?

Regards,
    JustinG

Comment

Originally posted by JustinG View Post
      You have three nice common kreuzer Mützenbander there.
      There is an interesting pinned thread, have you checked it out?
      Can't remember off hand if Dani mentioned the thread composition of Metalfaden?

Regards,
      JustinG

Hi Justin,

I reviewed the pinned thread and the only info there is ribbons was artificial silk mades.

But today under daylight I think I solved the mistery, why this ribbon looks so different for me. Seems to me now ribbon material itself is the same used in the others I have, but it's external stitiching border has a different pattern that turns ribbon much more ruffled and elastic than others I have. Ribbon pattern itself looks a little bit different for me too. It's a very interesting ribbon variation, 1st time I see.

Observe in this picture the waves on upper ribbon are not wrinkles but a ruffle effect due this border stitiching pattern.

Best Regards,

Ricardo
      Last edited by R.R.; 01-30-2013, 06:24 AM.

Comment

Hi Ricardo,

nice to see your collection is expanding. Well, one of these tallies has two horizontal threads as edge (meaning where the verticals are woven together with horizontals), the other one three.

There are more than this difference between tallies, just factory and also time dependen. No worries. All three are good.

Rgds

Daniel

Comment

Oh, and by the way, while talking about differences: if you count the vertical golden threads of the letters "l" in Köln and Karlsruhe, you will find a difference morst probably. Köln looks like 12 loops, Karlsruhe like 13.

Dani

Comment

Originally posted by Marine HJ View Post
            Oh, and by the way, while talking about differences: if you count the vertical golden threads of the letters "l" in Köln and Karlsruhe, you will find a difference morst probably. Köln looks like 12 loops, Karlsruhe like 13.

Dani
            Sorry, other way around: Karlsruhe is the thinner looking lettering, Köln the wider letters.

Dani

Comment

Originally posted by Marine HJ View Post
              Sorry, other way around: Karlsruhe is the thinner looking lettering, Köln the wider letters.

Dani
              Hi Dani,

You're correct the Köln is the widest among both. I'm not affraid about Emden tally authenticity but only curious about it's interesting ruffle and elastic properties when compared with others tallies I have. Is coming another interesting tally to collection and I'm negociating some others for the near future. I'll post each one here when they arrives.

Best Regards,

Ricardo

Comment

Hi Guys,

While we are on Kreuzer Tallies, there are quite a few listed but I haven't seen some of them in tallies - e.g.

Kreuzer Amazone
                Kreuzer Arcona
                Kreuzer Berlin
                Kreuzer Hamburg
                Kreuzer Medusa
                Kreuzer Lützow

I know that some of these existed in the RM period and hence have the standard script but have never seen these in the Fraktur script.

Kreuzer Lützow was the Panzerschiff Deutschland if I remember correctly hence it would have had just the Kriegsmarine tally as it was renamed during war time so that if sunk wouldn't be a symbol of Germany being defeated but the rest I'm not sure if they made a WW2 version of and if so can someone please post an example?

Cheers
                JustinC
                Last edited by Trance_Eyes; 01-30-2013, 07:55 PM.

Comment

I have only seen RM lettering period pieces for the ships named. I have never seen anything from the Luetzow; I wouldn't expect to see as it was scuttled then resurected for scrap just after the war by the Soviets so not even a chance for a Bundesmarine or Volksmarine tally.

Don't you have several if not all of these RM Kreuzer tallies?

Regards,
                  JustinG

Comment

Hi Justin,

I don't collect RM tallies hence I have none of them but have seen them in my travels.

I have a fair few of the KM kreuzer tallies -

Kreuzer Admiral Hipper - need
                    Kreuzer Blücher - need
                    Kreuzer Emden - have
                    Kreuzer Karlsruhe - have
                    Kreuzer Köln - have
                    Kreuzer Leipzig - have
                    Kreuzer Königsberg - have
                    Kreuzer Nürnberg - have
                    Kreuzer Prinz Eugen - need (Fancy selling one of your duplicates?) lol

Cheers
                    JustinC

P.s - Pics for reference

Last edited by Trance_Eyes; 01-30-2013, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Nice original kreuzers Ricardo

Have never seen an original Lützow tally.

On the other hand there was a Panzerkreuzer Admiral Scheer tally for sale on Ebay.de short time ago. I haven't seen the reverse but I trust the seller.

If this exist why not a Panzerschiff/-kreuzer Lützow out there somewhere?

Comment

Hi Frank,

I did some research on this Tally with Dani when it came up.

Dani did mention that he had seen this tally before and also that it existed in a Panzer Kreuzer Graf Spee also. I spoke with the seller and he could only say that he got it from a former Sailor .

Dani was unsure if this was a KM tally as it had more characterisitics of a BM tally in its construction so as I don't collect BM tallies and because of the question marks about it I passed on purchasing it.

Dani also mentioned that he had heard but not seen that the original drawings for the Panzerschiffe had the Panzer Kreuzer name written on it and perhaps that this had been derived from there as a private purchase Tally??

Anyhow too many question marks for me but it was a Metallfaden example.
                        The loops on the stitiching reverse was more indicative of a BM Tally.

Here are some reference pics -

If anyone else has any relevant info on these it would be interesting to know.

Cheers
                        JustinC

Comment

Originally posted by Trance_Eyes View Post
                          Hi Guys,

While we are on Kreuzer Tallies, there are quite a few listed but I haven't seen some of them in tallies - e.g.

Kreuzer Amazone
                          Kreuzer Arcona
                          Kreuzer Berlin
                          Kreuzer Hamburg
                          Kreuzer Medusa
                          Kreuzer Lützow

I know that some of these existed in the RM period and hence have the standard script but have never seen these in the Fraktur script.

Kreuzer Lützow was the Panzerschiff Deutschland if I remember correctly hence it would have had just the Kriegsmarine tally as it was renamed during war time so that if sunk wouldn't be a symbol of Germany being defeated but the rest I'm not sure if they made a WW2 version of and if so can someone please post an example?

Cheers
                          JustinC
                          Hi JustinC,

I don't had see too talies from the cruisers above in fraktur script, and I don't know soo much about it's operational career in Kriegsmarine. I think they was used only as somethink like target ships and may be their crews was too resumed or only temporary to justify the new tallies production.

And I don't had see too tallies from Panzerschiff/Schwerer Kreuzer Lützow and I think there was none, because Panzerschiff Admiral Scheer was reclassified as Schwerer Kreuzer at the same time and I think nobody had see a ¨Kreuzer Admiral Scheer¨ tally until now.

I don't had see too tallies in fraktur script from the Linienschiffs bellow:

Linienschiff Braunschweig

Linienschiff Elsass

Linienschiff Lothringen

Linienschiff Preussen

The only I know in Fraktur letters are:

Linienschiff Hannover

Linienschiff Hessen

Linienschiff Schlesien

Linienschiff Schlewig-Holstein

Regards,

Ricardo

Comment

Originally posted by JustinG View Post

Don't you have several if not all of these RM Kreuzer tallies?

Regards,
                            JustinG
                            Hi JustinG,

There is a Medusa RM tally for salle at Weitze:

https://www.weitze.net/detail/28/Rei...a__114828.html

Regards,

Ricardo

Comment

Hi R.R -

Yes - The only I know in Fraktur letters are:

Linienschiff Hannover

Linienschiff Hessen

Linienschiff Schlesien

Linienschiff Schlewig-Holstein

Reference from my collection -

Best
                              JustinC

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X