Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The shared frames & cores of 1870 Godet & Wagner EK's

FRAME SHARING BY GODET AND WAGNER - 1870 SERIES

In a recent thread, member morel5000 (Michel) asked if it was possible to identify the maker of his 1870 EK2 by its frame (rather than simply by its core).

Here is the thread.. 1870 ek2 A - Question

This of course is a common question and one you'd think we should be able to answer by now, but despite some early enthusiasm in a couple of older threads, the research into this has always stalled at the early stages. I am probably not alone in always intending to investigate the frames of these prized EK's further - I know my good friend Trevor has also mentioned the prospect.

Despite it sounding like a relatively simple exercise (comparing one makers frame with another and finding a simple match or not) the undertaking is huge. In looking at beading patterns, we are studying the minutae of a characteristic that is the width of a pin. There is a fairly small number of images circulating among the various forums of maker marked 1870 EK1's to reference and - trust me - a VASTLY smaller number of QUALITY images that are even remotely usable at magnification.

This is something you only truly discover when you make a fairly bold claim and then find you have to substantiate it!!

I have no doubt that like their third reich cousins, the central inner corners of 1870 EK's were on occasion filed down very slightly (rounded) to better accomodate the 'W'. There are tiny beading distortions and deformities presumably thrown up during the frame pressing process and of course, EK's are assembled randomly by hand from a pile of pre-pressed frames and cores. All this plays havoc with conclusively pinning down an EK frame using it's most prominant and immediate distinguishing feature - the four central inner corners. Rotate an EK 90 degrees or 270 degrees and you may have a matching frame - fail to line it up correctly and you are convinced you are looking at two totally different frames.

When you consider also that at least 70% of the pool of available images of genuine maker marked Godet or Wagner EK1's have frames SO worn they are indeterminable, the task becomes.... tricky. I myself own three of the four known types we are about to study and while my Godet EK1 is sharp, the frames on both my Wagners are so worn, they are essentially useless to this discussion. Handy.

Anyway, enough of the excuses, I'm sure you get the picture.

Rather than posting some sort of definitive 'article' I will simply open the discussion here using what images I can to try and illustrate why I believe the SAME frames were in use by both GODET and WAGNER in at least some of their 1870 EK's and therefore, establishing the maker of an unmarked 1870 EK1 or EK2 cannot be reliably done by comapring frames OR cores. (I won't cover the 'LL' marked crosses (Lauer/Lemcke) in the early stages, primarily because images of them are so hard to come by, but we should definitely explore them later in this thread).

The Background

We have many experienced members here (and on other forums) who already know that both Godet and Wagner used the same 'A' type Berlin Foundry produced CORE in a selection their respective EK1's, but we also have newcomers so some of this early stuff will not be news to many of you. I think it needs to be laid out though so everyone who contributes to this thread is referencing the right information and using the same terminology. Further reading on core types can be found in Mike Estelmann's excellent artcle BDOS Article - 1870 EK's

The Cross Types

For obvious reasons, the primary references here will only be to genuine, identifiable and maker marked FIRST CLASS crosses by both Wagner and Godet.

GODET used two very distinctive cores on their maker marked crosses, commonly referred to now as the 'A' type (left) and the 'B' type (right).

Genuine Wagner marked EK1's are also found with two core types, the familiar 'A' Type (left) and the deluxe and impressive looking 'A1' Type (right)

NOTE: It is worth noting now for newcomers to the 1870 EK1 field that to date - and to my knowledge - no GODET marked EK1 has ever been found with an 'A1' type core and no WAGNER marked EK1 has been found with a 'B' type core. It is known that 'LL' marked 1870 EK1's are also found with the 'B' type cores, so while we should refrian from definitively stating the 'B' type core is a GODET production, it is EXTREMELY likely that this is the case.

The Question?

DID GODET AND WAGNER SHARE THE 'TYPE 1' FRAME IN THEIR EK1's

The 1870 EK2 that prompted me to finally get this thread underway was posted by Michel (Morel5000) and his photo of the central junction highlighted a fairly distinctive 'footprint' which - for want of a better term - I'll refer to from here on as the 'Type 1' frame. Of note is the almost 'alphabetic' looking structure of these inner corners - top left and bottom left looking rather like an 'h' and an 'E', top right is a fairly distinctive looking 'half moon' and bottom right, something akin to a 'u'. I wont be offended if the nickname 'The Alpahabet Frame' doesn't stick...

Below is the photo of the EK2 Michel posted... and next to it, the 4 distinctive inner corners of the 'Type 1' Frame are highlighted.

The EK1 frames themselves presumably have no fixed orientation reference - meaning that in assembley, there is no 'lug' or 'eyelet' integral to the frame that dictates a frames top, bottom or side. As an example of how rotation needs to be factored in, Trevor's lovely unmarked EK1 on the left is clearly a frame match to the EK2 on the right, but only when rotated 180 degrees as illustrated here...

And again below, this time a pretty salty unmarked 'B' type EK1, which with a bit of rotation so the half moon shaped bead is top right, we can see is clearly a Type 1 (Alphabet) frame.

The Answer?

So I'll keep it to a simple observation and qualify it with this statement:

Commonly known is that there is more than one frame type used in 1870 EK1 production (GODET for example used at least two that I can identify, one is the Type 1 'Alphabet' frame, the other distinctly different) and no doubt we'll cover that as things are further explored. I'm too tired.

I am by no means suggesting that ALL WAGNER's EK1 frames are Type 1 - there are anomalies and differences that I just can't explain and I look forward to exploring those further with you guys. That may be due to image quality, my inability to match the rotation correctly due to deformed beading or too much wear, or sleep deprivation but I will state now that I believe the following GODET and WAGNER maker marked crosses all share the same Type 1 'Alphabet' frame, which I'm lead to believe would be relatively new information to many collectors of 1870 EK's.

That is:

A GODET marked 'B' type (below)

A GODET marked 'A' Type (below)

... and a WAGNER marked A1 type (below)

As I said in Michels thread, "One swallow does not make a Summer" - I was hoping to find a trend rather than simply a few one-off anomalies, but I can't yet. I freely admit to having enormous difficulty finding more than one image of each that I could post for you guys to give feedback on. Predictably, the most interesting one (the Wagner with the A1 core) is quite possibly the worst photograph ever taken and yet it's the one I'm forced to use. I did try and contact the owner (Reservist1) for something better, but to no avail.

Nonetheless, the bead counts seem to match up and I hope I've extracted enough detail from other shots provided of these three specific crosses to show a 'Type 1' Alphabet frame in use by both the top two manufacturers of the 1870 Iron Cross.

In the order they are shown above,

The GODET marked B type:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The GODET marked A Type

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And the WAGNER marked A1 Type

If you guys think we have a match here, then we are in business, if not now's the time to say so! I am completely open to interpretation - we are all here to learn - the further I got into this endeavour, the more I learn't. What I learn't most unfortunately was that some forum members are SERIOUSLY lagging behind in the technology curve and could do worse things than invest in a decent freakin camera!!!

If we are agreed about a match, I have plenty of other interesting stuff - unmarked A1 cores (which HAVE to be made by WAGNER) with the same 'Type 1' Alphabet frames, Godets with different frames but most interesting to me was this...

I have an extensive library of reference photos but I could not find a single WAGNER marked 1870 EK1 with an 'A' type core (the 'A' type, not the 'A1') that also had this Type 1 Alphabet frame. That doesn't mean they don't exist, I just couldn't find one.

There could be something in that - hopefully we will see.

Really appreciate your comments and hopefully we can finally nail this whole frame thing once and for all.

Cheers for reading!

Marshall
    Last edited by Biro; 07-04-2012, 09:25 AM.

well done Marshall

yes its a match

second ,,what we need to know are the soldering around the frame ...

if those are 100% to the regular soldering method you have a winner ...

regards kay

Comment

Hi Marshall,

My compliments on this very nice work!
      I agree that they do match, and I also agree on the technology issue .

Hopefully all 1870 owners can (re)photograph their unmarked/marked/ek1/ek2's, type A, A1 or B in high resolution and post them (if they match or not ?) in this thread. Also I'm very interested in the matches you haven't posted yet. I also will recheck my files. We can then work on a real database.

Thanks for this very good start.

Best regards,
      Michel

Comment

I would just add Michel that rather than clog this thread up early on with endless photos of unmarked EK1's and EK2's (of which I have no shortage of good examples of) that we try and restrict posting to specific observations of maker marked 1870 EK1's only.  

Without a maker mark, we can only ever say 'that across matches a type 1 frame' and we already know there are plenty of unmarked examples with type 1 frames. 

In particular we are looking for more maker marked A1 cores and good photos of Wagner marked A type cores. 

For example, Emedals currently have a GREAT photo of a marked Wagner A Type, but I can't make it match. If that is the case with ALL Wagner marked 'A types', then we potentially have a second Wagner frame type. 

That's the sort of thing we're looking to establish here. 

Comment

we try and restrict posting to specific observations of maker marked 1870 EK1's only.  
          Check

Comment

Nicely done Marshall
            I would have never thought that the 2 big players shared frames.
            Last edited by gregM; 07-04-2012, 08:11 PM.

Comment

well I would expect more would join in to this important discovery .

but its a little silent ....

Comment

I can hardly contribute on 1st clas crosses and am stilling just trying to read the frames, but: the "L.L." mark is Lemcke's, not Lauer's.
                sigpic

Visit www.woeschler-orden.de, updated each 1st and 15th a month!

Comment

Originally posted by saschaw View Post
                  I can hardly contribute on 1st clas crosses and am stilling just trying to read the frames, but: the "L.L." mark is Lemcke's, not Lauer's.
                  Thanks Sascha - I've never been entirely sure whether it's Louis Lemcke or Ludwig Lauer, so we'll run with Lemcke.

If there's anything (or any images) that I can add to help you (or anyone reading) understand the frames, I 'm happy to. Once you familiarize yourself with the 4 inner most beads on the Type 1 (they do resemble letters of the alphabet as I mentioned earlier) you will spot them a mile away in future.

Ive tried to keep it as simple as possible but all this talk of A Types and Type 1's can get pretty confusing I agree. I just don't know what else I can call this version other than a Type 1 frame given that I'm sure there is a Type 2 frame and possibly a Type 3 frame.
                  Last edited by Biro; 07-06-2012, 07:22 AM.

Comment

Thank you! I'll have to digg up my some 1870s crosses (which are 2nd classes "only") to study it live.

The advices given are extremely helpful and couldn't be much better!
                    sigpic

Visit www.woeschler-orden.de, updated each 1st and 15th a month!

Comment

I WISH I had a maker marked 1st class to contribute.

Comment

Originally posted by gregM View Post
                        Nicely done Marshall
                        I would have never thought that the 2 big players shared frames.
                        I think in all honesty Greg it's far from conclusive yet - as I've stated I am not exactly working with high quality images here - and there are still many grey areas.

I could really do with some help here from owners of Wagner marked 'A Types' and 'A1 Types'!

For example:

Here are a couple of A Type cores, both are marked correctly on the reverse for I. WAGNER.

Despite the fact that the beading on Weitze's example is pretty crushed up, I think it's fair to say that both crosses have matching inner corners - and therefore this is definitively the template for a frame type used by Wagner in their EK1's with an 'A Type' core

So the million dollar question is:

Does the beading of the A Type Wagner marked cross (BELOW LEFT) match the frame of the A1 Type Wagner marked example (BELOW RIGHT) ??

I think the only correct answer to that question would be "possibly"... there are certainly elements that correlate.

OR....

Is the terrible photo of the A1 Wagner marked example I'm referencing here in fact a better match for Trevors unmarked EK1 with a 'B Type' core (BELOW LEFT) which we've pretty much established for sure has a Type 1 Frame?

When looking at even just this one particular highlighted area on both Trevors unmarked EK1 with a B Type core (BELOW LEFT) and the Wagner marked A1 core (BELOW RIGHT), the answer might be a substantially more resounding "Probably!!"

If so, that would prove either a direct correlation between the Wagner company and a 'B Type' core or the more likely scenario that these Type 1 frames were available to both WAGNER and GODET, just as 'A type' cores were and that would certainly be hugely interesting.

I admit that in order to fully understand and contribute to this thread, you probably really do need to know your stuff - I know personally that I can't even face reading the whole S&L Knights cross A and B type discussion over in third reich - just too demanding of the brain!!

But if we don't ask, we don't discover so anyone even vaguely able to contribute here is encouraged to do so.

I'm going to go away and work on the 'Type 2' Frame now (almost certainly exclusively GODET's) - but to start that up here and now would just baffle everyone I'm sure, so for the time being, I've probably done all I can here.

Marshall
                        Last edited by Biro; 07-06-2012, 11:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gregM View Post
                          I WISH I had a maker marked 1st class to contribute.
                          Greg,

We can share. Feel free to throw my two into the mix.

Tony
                          An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

Marshall,

Great job!

Tony
                            An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

Originally posted by Biro View Post
                              ....for the time being, I've probably done all I can here.....Marshall
                              OK - not quite done.

I think the final missing piece of the jigsaw - an 'A Type' Core Wagner marked EK1 with early style pin and the tell tale inner beading of a Type 1 frame.

Clearly this bead in particular is the standout feature enabling comparison with other frames. A 'half moon' shaped bead top right and this distinctive bead top left and you can rest assured you have a Type 1 frame.

I think given that there are now examples of a GODET marked 'B Type', GODET marked 'A Type', WAGNER marked 'A Type' and WAGNER marked 'A1 Type' core all in this thread, it can safely be said that both the big players in 1870 EK production shared not only the 'A Type' core, but the frames as well - specifically, the Type 1 frame.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X