Originally posted by WaltherW View Post
          hi gents,

wants to show this one,

some opinions about the cup would be very nice

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Nice original cup . No problem with it.You could find them the most with medic canteens but also seen them with coconut canteen.

Comment

thanks for your reply....thats sounds very good....

please notice the "flat" area (black arrow)

never saw that before....

thanks

Ww

Comment

Here is a new one I picked up at a local auction. Who is GNL?
              Attached Files

Comment

Top of canteen.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Gylsen View Post
                  Top of canteen.
                  If I'm not mistaken: GNL= L.Lepper Stahlrohrenwerk, Bielefeld

Comment

Originally posted by gnadenlose View Post
                    If I'm not mistaken: GNL= L.Lepper Stahlrohrenwerk, Bielefeld

As far as I know the big letters are shortcuts from full name of maker ( like H.R.E. - Heinrich Ritter Esslingen ) so I don't think the maker you provided is the right one as the name is not compatibile with G.N.L. shortcut ( think you might reffering 'gnl' not 'G.N.L').

Comment

Hi,
                      GNL or G.N.L.
                      this manufacturer it can be found also on iron canteen
                      but in these canteens hard to see the dots..
                      Mattia

Comment

Thanks guys for the info on this canteen.

Comment

I do not collect German militaria ~ American only. However I was at an estate auction today for a genetlman who was a guard of prisoner of war camps. This German canteen came up and I could not pass on it (at least what it was being bidded at). Anyhow I've tried to reseach and have conclude that there were a lot of variations of canteens.

Anyone have any ideas on this or what it might be worth? Thanks

Comment

Hello

This canteen has seen some major repairs, more than likely while the original owner was a POW. The buckle on the front looks to be from a US WWII issue canvas legging. The strap that secures to the lid has been re-attached; there should be a zinc grommet that the rivet passes through to the lid. The leather strap on the lower front has been repaired as well, you can see by the hand-sewn stitches. The cover looks to be made from a blanket, with the reinforcing from some scrap cloth, hand sewn, though done quite well. The Bakelite cup looks to be fine.
                            I wouldn’t place much value on this as a whole, the cup providing there are no cracks, about $25.00.

I have to admit it’s an interesting POW piece though.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by M44 Breadbag View Post
                              Hello

This canteen has seen some major repairs, more than likely while the original owner was a POW. The buckle on the front looks to be from a US WWII issue canvas legging. The strap that secures to the lid has been re-attached; there should be a zinc grommet that the rivet passes through to the lid. The leather strap on the lower front has been repaired as well, you can see by the hand-sewn stitches. The cover looks to be made from a blanket, with the reinforcing from some scrap cloth, hand sewn, though done quite well. The Bakelite cup looks to be fine.
                              I wouldn’t place much value on this as a whole, the cup providing there are no cracks, about $25.00.

I have to admit it’s an interesting POW piece though.

Paul
                              Thanks Paul ~ I bought the story and thought it was interesting. Thanks for the info. I only paid $20 for it ~ thank goodness.

Kevin

Comment

Thought I would share my canteens. Nothing too extraordinary compared to some of the great ones I've seen in this thread, but I'm happy with them nonetheless.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X