Free Boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Free Boots

Last Christmas while I was home in Germany on vation, the brother-in-law and I went to the local shooting club to do a little air rifle. When we were finished, we started doing a LOT of beer. One of the older club members joined us, and the topic turned to Third Reich collecting. He went and got a few of his things he inherited from older family members, including these boots. He said his Uncle wore them in the war, but I don't recall what Uncle did. At the end of the evening, he gave me the boots as a present. Sorry about the lousy photos. I just remembered them and downloaded from my camera. The boots are in storage in Germany. From what you can see, do you guys thing these are original or post war?
    Thanks,
    Johnnie
    Last edited by Johnnie; 07-05-2009, 01:32 AM.

Both boots are marked 44 on the inside tops, and on both soles.

Comment

The pull up straps seem to be cotton.

Comment

Footwear seems to be one of the most "difficult" areas of collecting but I like what I see. Appear to be officers for field use.

Comment

From the picture it looks they've the smaller Italian nails..,can you post some details ?

Jos.

Comment

Unfortunately, not at present. They are in Germany. I'm in Afghanistan.
            Johnnie

Originally posted by Jos Le Conté
            From the picture it looks they've the smaller Italian nails..,can you post some details ?

Jos.

Comment

IMO, The 3 piece sole looks correct. Notice that the soles are stitched, (you can see it from the top photo, and on the arches of the bottom photo), which would mean later war construction. I have 2 pair that have stitched soles, and both are late war made. One of mine is rbn'd and dated 1945. The 44 stamped on the sole would be the size. The 44 inside the top, could also very well be the date. Yours have the stiffened, molded uppers. They look like classic marching boots of the period, to me....

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I actually felt guilty taking them, and had the brother-in-law call him the next day to offer them back, but he said no, he wanted someone who would appreciate them to have them. They have been extermely well cared for and the leather is supple. They are actually wearable.
                They make a great addition to my field gear collection. Neat thing about this hobby, you can spend a lot of money seeking items, then out of the blue, someone gives you a treasure.
                Cheers,
                Johnnie

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnie
                  Unfortunately, not at present. They are in Germany. I'm in Afghanistan.
                  Johnnie
                  Geez...I went to Florida on vacation this year. You got to go to Afghanistan.. Keep your head down, man!

Comment

Thanks John.Not exactly a vacation paradise here, but it pays well, and I can start cosidering adding things to my collection I couldn't afford before. Trust me, me and my guys have gotten "heads down" and "watch six" down to a science!
                    Best regards,
                    Johnnie
                    Originally posted by John Huff
                    Geez...I went to Florida on vacation this year. You got to go to Afghanistan.. Keep your head down, man!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X