Lakesidetrader

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SS visors with divergent insignia at Versailles 1940.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only place this mismatch of insignia is intolerable is in the minds of modern collectors.

Notice the slightly lighter color of the hat band on the visor worn by the sturmbannfuhrer on the right in the picture in post #11. I can't help but wonder if it is a standard army visor with a dark green band and the wreath and cocade replaced with an SS skull.

Alen

Comment

Originally posted by rbno View Post
      The only place this mismatch of insignia is intolerable is in the minds of modern collectors.
      And that's why when I comment on SS visors I only really comment on the insignia …. The visor itself is a totally separate art, known in real depth by a handful.

Ian
      Last edited by Ian Hulley; 12-28-2018, 03:57 PM. Reason: *spelling*

Comment

Totally agree with you rbno / Alen, noticed the color difference on Witt's visor band too, a magnification of the picture does show some disturbance around the area but not conclusive as it's faint and some more disturbance is visible in other areas so the spots in the picture could have multiple reasons.
        Attached Files

Comment

In this picture though it's clear that a Wehrmacht visor was worn by Gerhard Bremer, it should be post 30.11.1941 as on that date he was awarded the Knight's cross, or the Knight's cross has been edited to an earlier picture … but it looks very 1:1.
          Always thought this to be an earlier picture but all I have is this copy and no date, unfortunately I've never been able to find the original.

Of the second picture ( proflie ) I have the original picture, among some Bremer pictures from Russia, same visor, no data on the back.

Sorry to see there's no further info on the Versailles picture, or a picture from a different angle (found only one extra with some names), I've also been looking at a lot of Wochenschau's from that period but nothing, in books, amazing.

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

excellent photos. additional note: in the no. 2 one with the colored ring details, it seems the second officer down from the top middle (about at the line of building railing) with the blue circle wears a political eagle as seen on nsdap, sa and other organizations' caps.

Comment

I believe the hat Bremer is wearing is an SS cap as I don't believe the Wehrmacht had a model with a cloth peak.

Comment

Thx Inimicus and you are right about the eagle . Derek, I couldn't say whether it is Wehrmacht or SS, but it for sure had a wreath on it, judging by the holes and distance between them. I've made a somewhat comparable picture. The Reichswehr did have cloth covered visors / Feldmützen up until say 1935. I'm not very familiar with these visors but if you look at pictures from that period you'll see most of them with a light coloured band and little cockade and very occasionally one with a dark band and little cockade. Somewhere in 1934 you'll see the wreath appear on these visors. I don't know if Bremer's cap is some transitional model, never have seen anything like it to be honest, but in earlier discussions it was named as being a Wehrmacht one.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Interesting photo of Bremer in 1944. Or so the caption says.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Splendid picture indeed, thx! And it is Bremer at an excercise together with Dietrich, Meyer and Keitel (?), chincord hanging half way down . Cloth covered visor, different from the earlier picture but with a Wehrmacht eagle, nice. Some interesting pictures of Bremer in the trenches with cloth visor and Wehrmacht eagle also excist. Here some ( well known ) pictures of Meyer and some of his visors, at another early excercise with a well used sweatband (just a nice picture), picture in the field with a Wehrmacht eagle among some cloth visors, picture in Russia winter and an early Deutschland Regt. soldier with Wehrmacht eagle and Wehrmacht chinstrap. Regards, Seth.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BenVK View Post
                          Interesting photo of Bremer in 1944. Or so the caption says.
                          Overhoff skull

Ian

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X