Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Police tunic real???

Hi gents
    I wanna buy this tunic. It’s a fair price from a truth dealer of whom i bought from the past with no issues. He believes the tunic and tunes under the pocket are real, along with the collar tabs. He is not comfortable with the sleeve insignia.... please any thoughts on the insignia and tunic itself.
    Also wondering what shoulder boards would go with this if it’s legit.

Pic
    Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Tunic is an M41 with grey collar and pleated pockets with scalloped flaps, and a 6 button front (as introduced 26/05/41 officially). Date shows 1943, which is possible as there was some overlap of tunic styles, although it's very unusual as by this date they were trying to conserve materials etc. by dropping the un-necessary pleats and pointed pocket flaps.
            Lower pockets have been removed to hide the fact that they were also pleated (is my guess) as police tunics have unpleated lower pockets.

Is the tunic even real? maybe....
            Is this insignia set up possible....sure, why not?
            Is the insignia real?......I'll let others with more knowledge answer that.
            Are those gold buttons on it?

I must admit, the 1943 date throws me as there was two further changes made by 1943..... the M42 with the pleats dropped, then the M43 with pleats dropped and pocket flaps made straight.

Last edited by Sonderkommando; 02-07-2018, 12:20 AM.

Comment

The tunic is original, but stripped of it's lower pockets for unknown reasons. The collar tabs and eagle are original, and while the tabs have been there since it left the factory it is difficult to say on the sleeve eagle and chevron.

The lower pockets on some combat police tunics were pleated, and I don't think they were removed to hide something. Are the load bearing straps on the inside cut out as well? If so, something was likely done with this post war and I'd vote for a post-war badged up tunic.

I would pass on this one as a collectible tunic if offered to me, though it has value for some of it's real components. Sorry I don't have a more positive message...

s/f Robert

Comment

That pattern of sleeve eagle is a very late style and for it to be originally applied to a 1943 tunic would be a stretch for me to believe.

Ian

Comment

Tabs are replaced. I would pass. Looks like jazzed up stripped tunic post war to me.

Comment

i would saay the the tunic is original as well as the ss insignia.
                    but for me doesnt mean its an ss police tunic. i believe its post war put together

Comment

This the type of tunic that would have been converted - a regular four pleated pocket police combat tunic that is complete, IMO. The 4th SS Police Division reunion / commemorative book originally put together by veterans show police M43-type tunics in use during a transitional period to the Waffen SS, but their use was short lived.

s/f Robert
                      Attached Files

Comment

I would add that this is a impractically butchered tunic, missing it's pockets and Gams is right, probably even it's collar tabs. How would an enterprising salesman move such a thing? My hypothetical answer: buy the cheapest SS insignia (the late war Dachau-type RZM eagle), attach it to the sleeve, re-sew the common police collar tabs, and call it SS.

I would not trust the SS membership runes to be original, and the sleeve chevron looks reproduction to me with the elongated tress diamonds. The expensive stuff - SS shoulder boards and SS runes/rank - are missing from the alleged wartime conversion.

Just too much of a reach for me, but again, useful to break down into it's (limited original) components if one was inclined. I'd say this will likely resurface as an M44 down the road, so keep this one for your files.

s/f Robert

Comment

I'd be more comfortable with the runes if they were on police green wool.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                          X