Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buchenwald KZ grouping

Hi to all,

The first question with an item like this was, what about a stuff like this in my own collection ? Indeed I'm not specially a KZ stuff collector: I like and collect mainly Walloon collaboration items and, on the opposite side, resistance and Belgian forces in UK. Because this cloth was worned by a Belgian resistant in a KZ camp, then it is in my theme. I look mainly at this piece like a Belgian resistance item, as result of the actions of the owner, not as a holocaust item. No sure I'ld want it if it was a jew cloth ...

The second one, and one more time : where put this thread ? Sorry but, without a more specialized forum, this forum appeared to me the best one. Because guards in camps were SS, this was a solution by default ...

Finally, I present you this exceptional display, coming directly from the family of the resistant, knew by mine. This family knew very few about this parent because he was the second husband of the grandmother. The absence of blood link explains also the few interest for the display

Following my search, this man was active in the clandestine press distribution during WW2. He was yet 56 years old while he was arrested in January 1943. He went to Charleroi prison for one month and was sent to the Belgian Breendonck camp. He staid at Breendonck until may 1944 and then was sent to Buchenwald. He was liberated on 11th april 1945 and came back in Belgium on 4th may 1945 by plane.

Then there are :
    - pants and jacket numbered with same number. It was one time washed following the family.
    - a big black and white ( but colorized ) photo. Dated 1945 by the photograph near his home ( we can see the tunic, with the same lines at the collar and pocket or with the different buttons ).
    - 2 money papers of the camp
    - a Belgian pin with Buchenwald and number marked
    - an ausweiss / provisional identification card of Buchenwald
    - a wooden paperknife engraved with his number, initials, Buchenwald, 22.09.1944 ( a part of the Goethe oak following the family ).
    - 2 letters sent from Buchenwald to his wife
    - 1 letter from his wife to the red cross after departure from Breendonck to unknow destination
    - a cloth patch with name, personal number and number of the block.

Some months ago, I also bought on a flee market for peanuts this patch coming from a KZ cloth. The prisoner was the grandfather of the seller . Thanks to the name, I have found his history. He came back after 3 years of different camps ( last one, 5 month in Sachenshausen ).

And of course, let never forget the suffering behind these object.

Regards.

Number of Sachenshausen KZ camp

What an amazing group! Thanks for sharing.
    Looking for a 30 '06 Chauchat magazine.

Comment

Indeed one of the most important KL related group I have ever seen.

My books:

- THE WEHRPAß & SOLDBUCH OF THE WH
      - THE SS TK RING
      - THE ITALIAN-GERMAN MEDAL
      - THE ANTI PARTISAN BADGE
      - THE AWARDS OF THE LW

and more!

sigpic

Comment

History section a quite better rest

Comment

Congratulations on these incredible finds!
          I've been looking for years and haven't found anything, and you just find it on the flea-market!!

Comment

Interesting!

Comment

Thanks for posting this great grouping, that also confirms some of the points I made in my thread on this topic in the living history forum:
              -Yes, many of these were made in HBT material, in this case the pants are HBT.
              -No, not all these items were burned because they were infested with lice, etc.
              -Yes, prisonners kept these items themselves, and sometimes wore them proudly at post war commemorations, despite all the negative souvenirs attached to these items.

JL

Comment

Very sad but interesting reminding grouping of one of the worst episodes of human kind.
                Its very good that this is in good hands so it can remember us what happend in the recent past.
                Take good care of it so next generations can take care of it in the future. Or maybe a museum for a bigger public.
                Thanks for sharing.

Comment

I assume a post war photo as he is wearing good quality shoes.

From what I see, a very nice group.

Bob Hritz
                  In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

impressive

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Hritz View Post
                      I assume a post war photo as he is wearing good quality shoes. From what I see, a very nice group.
                      Bob Hritz
                      I thought much the same thing. But then maybe he was a worker in 'post-processing' and just took them from a huge pile to replace his own worn ones.

Comment

Group

Very interesting!

Comment

Really interesting group! Thanks for posting!
                          I own a jacket with the same fabric as this one ( you don't see thessential much )

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X