Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Sleeve Eagles Opinions

Hi guys,
    I believe these are original eagles. Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.
    John
    Attached Files

you are right

Comment

yep 2 x original

Comment

the top one is good?

Comment

totally 100% good, interesting that both of these have remains of original adhesive on the reverse, you only see this on some RZM pattern SS eagles. I believe it was intended that they were ironed on in position and then stitched around once the glue had activated from the heat- good idea I think.

Comment

I agree they are both good, and I too like to see the coating on the reverse. On minty eagles, it almost looks like waxed paper. However, I am not at all certain of its purpose. Patrick W may indeed be correct that it is a precursor to the iron on patch, but I always assumed it was just a coating to somewhat stiffen the wool for better embroidery, like the cotton backing seen on many other TR machine embroidered insignia.

Although Patrick and I both have opinions, I would certainly like to hear from anyone who may actually know the real answer which is probably "C, None of the above."

Alen

Comment

Both very nice ....
              Regards David

Comment

Thanks guys for taking the time to comment. I felt they were good, just wanted to be sure. Collecting SS cloth and headgear is new to me. Though I am a quick study.
                Regards,
                John

Comment

Originally posted by rbno View Post
                  I agree they are both good, and I too like to see the coating on the reverse. On minty eagles, it almost looks like waxed paper.
                  This coating is often seen also on sleeve diamonds (Rautes) and a good sign of authenticity! The coating on the back was done to stop fraying...

https://www.lakesidetrader.com/item.php?ID=12114

Comment

Nice eagles!

Comment

both not so common, the second with the nice hook is difficult to find.

Comment

Originally posted by viva_giulio View Post
                        Thanks viva giulio for the information on my eagles. What makes the eagle with the hook beak difficult to find? Is it an early or a late war produced eagle. I like learning as much history about a piece in my collection as I can. Thanks for commenting.
                        John

Comment

Thats the variant I own, which of course is a good one.

Comment

it's a middle war eagle 1943 + . A version more difficult to find also cause who have it... keep it. Nothing to share with dachau or late war eagle.

Comment

it's a middle war eagle 1943 + . A version more difficult to find also cause who have it... keep it. Nothing to share with dachau or late war eagle.
                              Thank you!!!
                              John

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X