Attached Files

Comment

...and here Bjørn Østring as Untersturmführer, DnL:
      Attached Files

Comment

Another Bjørn Østring photo
        Attached Files

Comment

Askold;Thank you. The M37 lions was not made as lions for collarpatches (or to be more correct; in that size). But after the war the norwegian police begun to use what is known as M/52 lions in brass on their collarpatches, the M/52 is very similare to the M/37. I know that this may sound confusing:-) so I will try to make some photos to illustrate this when time allows . The lions made especially for DNL are extremely rare to encounter these days.

Yes the M/42 lions made especially for the norwegian police are completely different in both design, and construction (made in zink but in a way so it imitates being made out of bullion thread(some police collarpatche -lions actually are made of bullion thread). But it can be seen on original period photos that to a small amount also M/42 police lions were used by DNL.

The photos of Bjørn Østring shows examples of use of the classic M/07 lion.

Lions (all types) facing both left and right where used (they came in pairs from the producer) even if regulations stated that the lion should face right. The staff of DNL used (facing) lions on both collarpatches, but this practice was abolished after some time.
          Attached Files

Comment

Superb pictures Hilton
            Have not seen those before.

DeMil

Comment

Originally posted by Hilton View Post
              These lions (made of zink) were notoriously known to brake, especially the head of the axe, and the tail of the lion were critical points and it can be observed on period photos that these parts is missing. On this photo one can see that the axe has broken.

Like this! (To avoid reproductions from being made I have removed important parts on this extremely rare lion). But if you ever find one you can compare
              Attached Files

Comment

made in zink but in a way so it imitates being made out of bullion thread (some police collarpatche -lions actually are made of bullion thread).
                Like this. Here black for Statspolitiet (State police):
                Attached Files

Comment

But it can be seen on original period photos that to a small amount also M/42 police lions were used by DNL.
                  Like this:
                  Attached Files

Comment

This discussion regarding DNL lions is very interesting. In my archive I have collected 9 photos of different collar tabs. A few of them are already discussed, and it would be interesting if other collectors can give their feedback on these tabs:
                    Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

In 2002 another collector showed me two packages with lions. Both packed in silk paper and old brown paper. It was written “50 lions” on the paper = 25 pair. I bought one package; another collector must have bought the other package. Later these pairs were sold with guarantee of authenticity.
                          Attached Files

Comment

I have never doubted these lions. Then another collector told me they are post-war for Norwegian military academy. I bought some pin-back lions (you can see the back of these on the lowest line, extreme right). I believe these are the post-war lions.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by militaria.no; 08-12-2015, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Then – and this is interesting – I learned a known Norwegian collector and author got this set as a gift from the widow of a Norwegian front fighter: A pair of lions on black collar tabs. Exactly the same lions as I found (25 pairs) and another collector sold with guarantee certificate:
                              Attached Files

Comment

Also used on Pre-war norwegian epaulettes. And as mentioned; a small quantity of these original lions surfaced in the 1980-90ties.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X