No announcement yet.

Thoughts on this bullion runes tab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The unterlagen is not white, but the usual light tan cardboard. Here is a closeup of the thread which may help. It is metalic (cold to the touch) and very tight.
    I recall that the backing buckram is also a very light tan which I have not seen on original tabs before.

CB
    Attached Files

Comment

By unterlagen we are talking about the cardboard template under the bullion thread. The thread inside the bullion is not unterlagen. If there is no cardboard under the threads it is a fake. It is tough to tell have you held it under UV?

Comment

Yes, I am well aware of what unterlagen is and should look like. It does have proper looking cardboard unterlagen, but I have not blacklight tested these as I dont have one and I dont hold much store behind their use.
        I have seen other fakes with unterlagen as well.
        If you feel there is any chance of these being good, I will remove one and photograph the reverse. Thanks again John and all,
        CB

Comment

Originally posted by John Pic View Post
          but now I wonder. Was the unterlagen white ?
          is the white unterlagen an instant red flag?

Comment

Not always but a clean un aged unterlagen is suspicious to me at least. The threads inside the bullion will glow in fakes and NEVER in originals unless they were washed then you might get a slight glow.

Comment

Well, hopefully fhis will settle it. The lady used some glue to position the tabs before sewing, which I had hoped she would not do!
              Anyway, note the coarse burlap used for the backing.( It is natural and not plastic) And another photo in sunlight to show the wool.
              The embroidery is so tight that it is difficult to see the unterlagen, but it is there and it is cardboard.
              CB
              Attached Files

Comment

Not always but a clean un aged unterlagen is suspicious to me at least.
                Ok thanks that's how I see it too white unterlagen is fine but always a bit suspicious even though I have seen it in original tabs with rock-solid provenance ..and even have one to be honest from a bullion guru but it never hurts to ask

CB
                Is the tunic original ? (in terms of SS)

Comment

No, the tunic is a repro. The unterlagen in these tabs is not white as I mentioned, but a very light tan cardboard.

Comment

Ok folks, just tested them with my friends blacklight and they do not seem to glow anywhere.
                    Now what?

CB

Comment

Any further ideas? There was no glue prior to their having been stitched on. The only thing that raises a red flag (to me anyway) on the reverse is the larger than average overlap of black wool material.
                      I think we all would certainly appreciate an explanation of any yay or nay responses.

Comment

I don't like that backing because its not what I see on most real tabs.

Comment

I don't like that backing because its not what I see on most real tabs.
                          I have never seen this backing on a real tab before either, but must mention that I have never seen it on a repro as well.

CB

Comment

Looks like this is one for the "dont know for sure" pile.

CB

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X