Early pattern SS sleeve eagles for review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early pattern SS sleeve eagles for review

Early pattern SS sleeve eagles for review.
    The one with the dime (from the web) I don't trust...Thoughts?
    The other one (from my collection) should be an original, the pattern with the high wing tips...
    (basically the same pattern as the Bahnschutz eagle on gray backing, but on Waffen SS black backing)
    Attached Files

Period image of an early eagle in wear by a 4th Division "Polizei" officer.
    (the pattern without the raised wing tips)
    Attached Files

Comment

I haven’t studied these to any real degree but I agreed that I wouldn’t give much credence to the first one. I had a couple of Bahnschutz enlisted eagles go into my collection (and leave) that had the upturned wings like the second one posted but, as you point out, not on black.

Below an example of a bullion eagle on black in my collection that doesn’t have upturned wings. I would be curious about how/when the designs evolved before subsequently going over to the war-time SS sleeve eagle.
      Attached Files

Comment

To be honest Nick .....
        I don't like the eagles you have shown
        Obvious reason for the first and the second seems a bit weedy in construction mine has a much thicker detailed body and wings than yours.
        Regards
        David

Comment

Eagles head

For me, the eagles head in all the above posts is facing the wrong way to be SS. However, the period photo shows the head facing in the correct position even though it is difficult to see.

Comment

Nick G mentioned in this thread: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...light=VT+eagle that “according to Angolia's book some of these early birds in the VT also show that trait and had their heads actually facing both directions,left facing more common adding to the confusion...”
            Here’s a VT eagle in his post: http://web.iwebcenters.com/grenadier...es/gma6110.JPG

Here’s another post (left facing): http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...light=VT+eagle to which no one (including you) had no issue with.

I’m sure there are many more were I to do more than a cursory search.
            Attached Files

Comment

Just to make a bit more confusing weren't these pattern used by the Bahnschutz there being little or no difference .... Could be wrong of course

Comment

Head facing eagles right.

I would love to see a period image of an SS man wearing a sleeve eagle with the eagles head facing the eagles right side. I have never seen one. In more recent times, I have made that a general rule myself for collecting ss eagles. I have all those supposed SS eagles in my collection with both black and green backgrounds. I would like to believe they are SS. I'm not sure they are however.

Comment

Originally posted by Martyn1 View Post
                  Just to make a bit more confusing weren't these pattern used by the Bahnschutz there being little or no difference .... Could be wrong of course

Yes they were but on a completely different colour backing
                  Regards
                  David

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X