MedalsMilitary

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SS Long Service Medals - 4, 8 and 12 Years - In the Box - Vet Pickup - Need Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Long Service Medals - 4, 8 and 12 Years - In the Box - Vet Pickup - Need Advice

Thought I would show off my 3 boxed SS Long Service Awards. I obtained them years ago from the Vet's son. The 12 year medal is not in the textbook 12 year box, but it is exactly as obtained including the little note written by the Veteran inside. The paper hinge on the 8 year medal box is separated, but otherwise they are just like they came back.

I am at point were I am considering selling them and a friend has expressed interest in the 12 year medal. I can't control what happens after I sell something, but seems like they should be kept together.

What are your thoughts? Break them up or sell as a group? The boxes themselves are tougher to find than the 4 and 8 year medals and I haven't ever seen a 12 year medal show up on the estand and don't recall seeing dealers selling a 12 year and with it's original ribbon. So, what to do?
    Attached Files
    Alitur vitium vivitque tegendo

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

They look ok to me my friend -

They would sell faster if individually sold IMHO. It's a tough decision to make as I like to keep veteran finds together. Maybe I'm just old school. Dunno.

PM sent.

Comment

I forgot to mention too - the box on the 12 year is certainly a 'war-time addition' during their liberation no doubt. Did the vet specify where/ how he came into possession?

Comment

Three undoubtedly textbook originals and that 12 year is an absolute minter.
              Can't help you with values or how to sell them.

Comment

Originally posted by C.Reinhardt View Post
                They look ok to me my friend -

They would sell faster if individually sold IMHO. It's a tough decision to make as I like to keep veteran finds together. Maybe I'm just old school. Dunno.

PM sent.
                I'd like to agree to disagree here.
                It is just a thought but seeing as how all 3 of them came together, a person might just want to have a shot to collect the whole set. I know I would. It is an empty hole that I am trying to fill. With the boxes there, in addition to the medals, I think that it wouldn't hurt to try to sell them as a set. The boxes are a BIG PLUS! There are many of us here that believe in trying to keep "all the children together"!
                Tim

Comment

Wow! I would have a go at selling them as a group

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by C.Reinhardt View Post
                    I forgot to mention too - the box on the 12 year is certainly a 'war-time addition' during their liberation no doubt. Did the vet specify where/ how he came into possession?
                    To be clear, you mean the box is incorrect for the 12-year cross...

Tom

Comment

Great find!!

Comment

Originally posted by tgn View Post
                        To be clear, you mean the box is incorrect for the 12-year cross...

Tom
                        That's correct Tom - the 12yr and 25yr boxes are a hinged-lid type construction.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Yes wrong case for the 12 year, it should be a hardcover and not like these of the 4/8 years (soft) paper cases. 12 years crosses are hard to find, but the case definately doesn't belong to it. For case collectors the case alone might be of more interest (it would be to me!), as might be the cross seperate too.

I would sell them seperate unless someone makes you a real good offer.

If i hadn't just last week bought me a dream item (SS) i would pm you now straight away for the 4 or 8 year! im sure these will sell very fast and your pmbo is probably exploding by now

Comment

Originally posted by TP Alexander View Post
                            I'd like to agree to disagree here.
                            It is just a thought but seeing as how all 3 of them came together, a person might just want to have a shot to collect the whole set. I know I would. It is an empty hole that I am trying to fill. With the boxes there, in addition to the medals, I think that it wouldn't hurt to try to sell them as a set. The boxes are a BIG PLUS! There are many of us here that believe in trying to keep "all the children together"!
                            Tim
                            I agree - keeping them together would be great in perfect world.

But the market is rather slow on these. Especially if you're asking top-dollar. These awards are all I study as far as medals go. I have seen things become rather stagnant in the last two years. Brent has had a MINT SS 4 year (with box) on his site for quite a while and it hasn't moved. Its a beautiful piece. That's my 0.02.

Comment

Hi,

my little finger told me that they will probably stay together

See You

Vince

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X