,,he looks happy though!

cheers,
      Pauli

Comment

Comment

Junk

Jack

Comment

I understand that these reproductions were actually made by Assmann right after the war ended and were sold to G.I.'s for souvenirs. Being the first known reproduction skull ever produced and being made by one of the original firms, makes this one a bit special, IMO. I was happy to acquire one for my fake bin for $20.00. They are interesting skulls and were definitely made from newly cut dies and were struck.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by SScollector View Post
              I understand that these reproductions were actually made by Assmann right after the war ended and were sold to G.I.'s for souvenirs. Being the first known reproduction skull ever produced and being made by one of the original firms, makes this one a bit special, IMO. I was happy to acquire one for my fake bin for $20.00. They are interesting skulls and were definitely made from newly cut dies and were struck.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by SScollector View Post

Chris
                I have doubts about that story.

I am not sure that a firm would want to restart production of insignia for an organization that had been declared by the Allies as "illegal" during the immediate post-war period, when former SS members were being hunted down.

Even if that were the case, why wouldn't they produce the most simple and cheap design possible? GIs were not interested in RZM production standards and quality. Rather than a complex, expensive design, with a made-up RZM code and soldered pins, I would expect an immediate post-war "souvenir" to look a lot more like the unmarked skulls with the three prongs that are integral to the insignia. The theory is that these unmarked skulls were late-war Assmann products. If that firm were to restart from the ashes of the TR in order to produce souvenirs for GIs, wouldn't they begin there?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                X