X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS tunic on the estand

Thoughts on this tunic on the stand:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=705232

The seller is up front that it began life as an issued Heer tunic, but the question that's key goes to when the SS insignia was applied...
    "We all have it coming, Kid" ("Unforgiven")

The seller also states that the insignias are added post war.....and shares photos of it without the insignias attached.

Comment

Ya, I don't think the issues are when the insignia listed was applied, because they are there as representative of what could go on the tunic where there once was insignia. The question, I think, is just whether or not the Army tunic was ever used as an SS tunic. Since there are traces of insignia that were on the tunic before, that match what SS insignia might be possible to match those ghosts of thread, then that's what needs to be determined. I don't think there's any way to prove/disprove that it was used as an SS tunic. The seller has taken this into consideration with his price accordingly.

Comment

So.... Sum total of loose insignia plus one stripped (originally Heer) tunic, all figured at collector prices equals the total offered for said tunic! that would be the formula I would follow in this case if I were interested.

Kevin

Comment

The only trace it has of previous insignia (nap on wool) is the one of the o/gefreiter vinkel. Its clear it has been one there before and most probably during the war. No nap traces of SS insignia exept for some left over stiches, and imo the arm shield was collector added after the war, probably to hide the holes in the tunic there.

What probably happened is that some collector "upgraded" a stripped heer tunic to SS with probably fake insignia that have since then been removed.

The cufftitle marks are former Speiss tresse, and NOT cufftitle..., you can see that on both arms.

Ofcourse its only my opinion but it is not a former Finland SS volunteers tunic.
          Last edited by Daniel.S; 11-20-2013, 03:45 PM.

Comment

What time period did the Finns use the "SA" marking - I was under the impression it was a postwar marking.

Comment

is the Finnish shild real at all ?
              here are some know originals,scroll down please.

http://axis101.bizland.com/WaffenSS2.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel.S View Post
                The only trace it has of previous insignia (nap on wool) is the one of the o/gefreiter vinkel. Its clear it has been one there before and most probably during the war. No nap traces of SS insignia exept for some left over stiches, and imo the arm shield was collector added after the war, probably to hide the holes in the tunic there.

What probably happened is that some collector "upgraded" a stripped heer tunic to SS with probably fake insignia that have since then been removed.

The cufftitle marks are former Speiss tresse, and NOT cufftitle..., you can see that on both arms.

Ofcourse its only my opinion but it is not a former Finland SS volunteers tunic.
                It is only my honesty- I wrote that there is marking Wh eagle( not visible on my photos and in hands also)
                I know the story of this jacket .
                And I know for sure that it was Finland volunteers jacket.
                But like always you know better-master of the confusion
                If you are so sure and know everything -write a book !

Markings for SS tabs are undeniable( no tracks Wh tabs!!!)
                Any marks for Speiss tresse on right arm!!
                Regards
                Jarek

Comment

I actually thought that second picture of post 6 was the right arm....and looking at the small markings it looked like leftover from former speiss tresse, my misstake if there are no marks on the right arm.

With SS items is "buy the item , not the story". So it really doesnt matter what someone told you or what story you have unless you have picture of the tunic being worn in the war.

I have not mentioned anything about the tabs, the pictures are too bad, and it is still my opinion only about the eagle and the arm shield.

You have 2 holes where the armshield was, and the nap is also gone there, remove the leftover stiching and noone would even know the armshield was there. (exept the tiny sewing holes if you lit the tunic with a flashlight)

I cannot write a book about SS uniforms, yes ofcourse i have studied many, and ive studied many stripped tunics (every branch) and i know patterns how they should look and thats why i gave opinion.

But what i can write a book about, is the Selling pitch of SS tunics, there are far too many and ive heard many hilarious ones they would make a great comic book.

Daniel.

Edit: And ofcourse my posting was only observations about tunic, and nothing about you or your company so please dont take it personal.
                  Last edited by Daniel.S; 11-21-2013, 09:26 AM. Reason: Editing post.

Comment

Sorry Daniel....

Better photos of SS tab on the collar
                    Attached Files

Comment

thoughts on the Finnish shield?

What're thoughts on the Finnish shield?
                      "We all have it coming, Kid" ("Unforgiven")

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Carter View Post
                        What time period did the Finns use the "SA" marking - I was under the impression it was a postwar marking.
                        You will find the SA stamp on wartime equipment and uniforms.

Comment

Originally posted by billmunny View Post
                          What're thoughts on the Finnish shield?
                          I would not want it in any way especially not on a finnish SS-volunteer tunic. It's not the German made, or any of the finnish made (grey/black & red/yellow) versions used before the german made shield was introduced. The shield on the picture has been around for a few years and should considered as a fake.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X