Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eagle Cupal?

Hi

I was playing an auction online and did not even have intention on bidding onit but it was so low I figured what the hell, and in worst case I have 2 spare Heer eagles for caps.

Everything I went through with normal pics was 100% ok, seemed like the house did a rush job and a couple of the pics were blurry.

My question is, even with the HORROR pics, on the swaz of the SS bird, does it appear cupal to any of you? It looks to gleam a bit through the fuzzy horror show, I just threw down on it due to noticing that while it was on the block, I know there are cupal fakes out there a plenty, but I summed up that all else was good, and it was quite a large lot I might as well. It was one of those auctions where the description was Nazi hat Pins , Military pin with swastika, Hitler Army.

I actually take descriptions like that as a good sign!

Not asking for originality opinions being that it is IMPOSSBLE, but if anyone sees cupal , or is it me?

Best
    Dion
    Attached Files
    Iam Uncle Sam
    That’s who Iam
    Been hiding out
    In a rock and roll band

If it is original, then it is certainly CupAl. Tombac or brass was never used on any known original 36 style SS eagles, as they were a later addition to the 34 pattern SS skulls that were first made of tombac/brass.
    However, these pictures are not good enough to tell if real or not, IMO.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by SScollector View Post
      If it is original, then it is certainly CupAl. Tombac or brass was never used on any known original 36 style SS eagles, as they were a later addition to the 34 pattern SS skulls that were first made of tombac/brass.
      However, these pictures are not good enough to tell if real or not, IMO.

Chris
      Hi Chris

The one glint off the swaz reminds me on cupal badges when the finish is lost. Thats the only reason I hit the bid button in a 1 second sprint of stupidity or smarts.

I also took into consideration after communication with the auction house that they were not very good at fotographing and it was not a blurry pic scam, all the items with blurry pics were original from caps to badges. They had no idea also what they were selling off as I had to explain a bit what an EK1 was. Medals with mismatched ribbons, cases seperated etc .I factored it all together and added a bit of gut feeling in there and went for it.

I think most would have.

If I screwed up though it could be worse!
      Iam Uncle Sam
      That’s who Iam
      Been hiding out
      In a rock and roll band

Comment

I'm not feeling it. I hope I'm wrong but I think it was put in there - along with the blurry pic - to entice a gullible f#ck (yes, in this case that's YOU Dion ) into thinking he's getting a real sleeper.

Like I said, I sincerely hope I'm wrong in this. Please give an update when it arrives.

You're in my prayers, friend.

Comment

I too, hope that I am wrong, but when I look at that one picture, the inner feathers do not look proportionally correct to me, but like I said, it is impossible to tell for sure, by this horrible picture. Good luck!

Chris

Comment

almost looks like it has a pigeon head!

William Kramer
            Please visit my site: https://wehrmacht-militaria.com/

Comment

I also had thought the ole blurry pic set up with 2 original cheapie items.
              It stood at a reasonable price and my enter button over rode my brain.
              I seen a Spanish Cross in gold with distanced terrible picture, it was original, but that shot to 2000 dollars. All the SS insignia was the typical Dachau stuff.
              I also believe these shields on the pic were good and somebody got a good deal but I chickened out. I had to factor in that I do not think the lady or staff were devious enough or knowledgeable enough to set up the ole blurry pic massacre I seen this when they took a cased EK1 out of its ubercarton and placed them in different lots, if they remained together it could have gone for near 1k, seperated it got jack. If the SS eagle I got is a fake it is one of the very few fakes in the lot of about 800 lots. The chance had to be taken, all the positive signs overode the negatives. Lets see what shows up in the mail!

Also in the catalog we have the old upside down shoulderboards, no tricks here, just no idea on militaria really, IMO
              Attached Files
              Iam Uncle Sam
              That’s who Iam
              Been hiding out
              In a rock and roll band

Comment

Originally posted by SgtB View Post
                I'm not feeling it. I hope I'm wrong but I think it was put in there - along with the blurry pic - to entice a gullible f#ck (yes, in this case that's YOU Dion ) into thinking he's getting a real sleeper.

Like I said, I sincerely hope I'm wrong in this. Please give an update when it arrives.

You're in my prayers, friend.

Sarge, I really had to factor in the gullible **** scenario, I had to switch it off in my brain. If I had not exchanged communications with the auction I would have not ruled out gullible fark, but after I did it was completly ruled out, if it is fake , they have no idea it was. Mind you, Iam VERY sceptical of most people! Iam going to say I give it a 92% chance of being good.
                Iam Uncle Sam
                That’s who Iam
                Been hiding out
                In a rock and roll band

Comment

Good job, Dion! Been there, done that! It is hard NOT TO get a little jumpy at auctions sometimes. There are just too many variables.

It's refreshing when you realize there is no foul play or evil intention involved, but the odd repro still always seems to sneak in there some how.

I was bidding on a SD SS M-40 3 weeks ago not 5 miles from my house. I jumped in at $1900 and then got out at $2300 when I realized I was bidding against the OWNER. It didn't sell and later an auction worker came over and offered it to me for $2400! I turned it down just on principal. I told him I would give him the $1900 I started at, but of course that didn't happen. I don't really collect SS anymore, but I could've doubled my money over night. But the whole thing pi$$ed me off so much that I didn't care.

After sitting there for 5 hours, I left with a $200 LW schiffen for my FJ oufit and a DAK book.

Comment

Looks like an M1/8 to me

If so well done Dion.

Not many can keep their nerve and too many cry fake.

Looked like some other good buys there too.

Regards

MMM
                    Last edited by MMM; 11-11-2013, 03:21 PM.

Comment

M1 72 showed up.
                      Attached Files
                      Iam Uncle Sam
                      That’s who Iam
                      Been hiding out
                      In a rock and roll band

Comment

Real indeed, congratulations!

Chris

Comment

I got lucky, this is copper coated zink, aka cupal?
                          Iam Uncle Sam
                          That’s who Iam
                          Been hiding out
                          In a rock and roll band

Comment

Originally posted by münster View Post
                            I got lucky, this is copper coated zink, aka cupal?

Aluminium coated Copper hence CupAl

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Hulley View Post
                              Aluminium coated Copper hence CupAl

Ian
                              Cheers Ian
                              Iam Uncle Sam
                              That’s who Iam
                              Been hiding out
                              In a rock and roll band

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X