Loads of SS-Collarpatches !!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loads of SS-Collarpatches !!!!!

J think Jll share something with you all you NEVER saw before.

Heres a picture of three danish recruits and brothers who were tailors in their civilian life.

Here they are attaching SS-collarpatches for their friends after finishing as recruits.

Note the stacks of collarpatches. J counted them. There are 20 in each

J wish J just had one stack. By the way the youngest on the right was KIA with 19 in Feb/42 after 10 months of service
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jens; 10-14-2004, 09:06 PM.

Jens,
    Great picture, thanks for sharing it.
    Regards,
    Fred

Comment

Collar Tabs

Jens,
      Thanks for sharing an interesting photo. Where are the sewing machines though? And here I thought that all collar tabs were always machine-applied ...John

Comment

John,
        how lovely to see you again. I was really afraid not to see your interesting comments on everything anymore . The same photograph is published in beaver's book "uniforms of the waffen ss" vol. 1. You can see it on page 21 and have a look at the nice pic beside it .

Fritz

Comment

Originally posted by John M. Donovan
          Jens,
          Thanks for sharing an interesting photo. Where are the sewing machines though? And here I thought that all collar tabs were always machine-applied ...John
          Indeed. I always heared from w-ss volunteers they put the insigna on themselves.
          So, why always talking about textbook sewing ??

Comment

Kris,

do you have the book I mentioned? If so please look at the page I told John to look at. This will answer your questions. There are many more books with such photographs out there. EVERY german unit had a Taylor group which was fully equiped with sewing machines etc.. I am not disagreeing with John when he says that not 100% were machine sewn to the item. But in my opinion it was mostly the case.

Fritz

Comment

Originally posted by Fritz
              John,
              how lovely to see you again. I was really afraid not to see your interesting comments on everything anymore . The same photograph is published in beaver's book "uniforms of the waffen ss" vol. 1. You can see it on page 21 and have a look at the nice pic beside it .

Fritz
              Well J have the original negativecollection from these brothers so j should perhaps send him a bill

Comment

Jens,

do so if you think you are right .

Fritz

Comment

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers.
                  Peter

Comment

"I am not disagreeing with John when he says that not 100% were machine sewn to the item. But in my opinion it was mostly the case."
                    Fritz,
                    What are you basing this statement on? Yes, it is very well-known that in each company there was a tailor and this certainly explains why much of the insignia was machine-sewn. However, you must also remember that when issued most SS uniforms only had a sleeve eagle factory sewn, so what about the rest of the insignia? Do you think that one tailor had time to sew all the insignia on for a whole company, or do you think that replacement troops being rushed into combat had time or even bothered to care about seeing the company tailor? Do you think the EM's had equal access and opportunity to to the company tailor, as did the Officer's and Non-Com's? IMO it not correct to state that most of the insignia sewn onto W-SS uniforms was machine-sewn. There was an equal amount of hand-sewn insignia sewn onto SS uniforms. This fact is also borne out by the evidence, just look at the 'worn' examples of SS insignia that have been available since the war ended - there have been as many examples that are hand-sewn as there have been machine-sewn. John

Comment

Originally posted by Fritz
                      Kris,

do you have the book I mentioned? If so please look at the page I told John to look at. This will answer your questions. There are many more books with such photographs out there. EVERY german unit had a Taylor group which was fully equiped with sewing machines etc.. I am not disagreeing with John when he says that not 100% were machine sewn to the item. But in my opinion it was mostly the case.

Fritz
                      Hi Fritz,

I don't want to start a fight here but i just wanted to state that at least for the Flemish volunteers i've spoken with they always mentioned they sewed they're insigna themselves.

I fully agree there was probably most of the time a tailor in every unit but this is what i've been told.

And that's why i don't really care for 'textbook machine-applied collar tabs' descriptions imho.

All the best

Comment

Kris,
                        Personally, I don't have any problem with machine-applied insignia, but I do with the statement that it was some kind of preferred method, or that this is how they should always look...John

Comment

Originally posted by John M. Donovan
                          Kris,
                          Personally, I don't have any problem with machine-applied insignia, but I do with the statement that it was some kind of preferred method, or that this is how they should always look...John
                          Hi John,

That's exactly my point. Sorry if my words came out otherwise.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X