What the 'ell is this thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What the 'ell is this thing?

I picked this cap up in a lot of GI equipment at an antique mall about 13 years ago when a dealer was shutting down his booth. Don't worry, I'm not about to toot a horn regarding my bargain SS hat find. I suspect this is an early reenator repro or possibly an old film prop of some sort maybe. I was hoping some one here could pin it down for me.

The hat is constructed similarly to an SS camo hat, but the enormous bill is more the flavor of a tropical field cap. But there are no false turndowns like on the trops. The camo pattern, while similiar to the oakleafs in some regard, is not a match for any shown in Beaver's book. There is a top seam, a front seam and integral sweat band, but no vent grommets. Also, the material is non-reversible. The brown splotches shown in the interior shot are simply bleed through from the darker spots on the exterior. This make up of this hat is 100% cotton across all components and thread. The bill is stiffened with a very heavy burlap or hessian cloth material.

Comments appreciated
    <!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->
    Attached Files

More...

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Hi,are the colours on the screen an accurate reflection of what's in your hand ? The inside appears to be a badly faded out Italian cammo material,this was seized in quantity by the Germans when the Italians jacked it in as a bad job.They made a number of items from the material,lined parkas,jackets and trousers etc etc,some say just for the W-SS but in fact Heer units had it too.The outer of the cap isn't a 'normal' pattern and the construction (with the internal sweatband) doesn't look (or attempt to look) field-made,it doesn't appear to have the ventilation grommets which a factory piece would have either.So,in my opinion you're probably right....a re-enactors piece or just a bad fantasy reproduction.

Just my opinion,seeing as no-one else seems interested.

Cheers,Ian.

Comment

Ian,

The hat is as faded as it appears in the photos. The interior is as I described initially. It is not a pattern at all, but only bleed through of the darkest brown shown on the exterior. I was wondering this might be a postwar hat from some other European army that took German influence on it's own camo. This thing has always perplexed me as to just what it is.

Thanks

Comment

Michael,
              The inside does not look like bleed though to me it looks like Italian camouflage while the outside looks like oakleaf, are you sure that they have not used 2 pieces of cloth sandwiched together? try pinching the cloth to see if there is 2 pieces,
              cheers,
              Gary

Comment

Gary,

The hat is only a single layer of material, and the interior colors are absolutly bleed through from printing. For each of the brown spots you see on the interior, there is a corresponding dark brown spot on the exterior that is exactly the same shape. None of my exterior photos show this too well.

When I say a single layer of material, I am talking about the crown and body of the hat. The bill is two layers with the hessian cloth between. I will try to shoot a couple of shots that demonstrate what I am describing as bleed through
                Last edited by Wesley's Dad; 10-15-2004, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X