No announcement yet.

8 Year SS Service Medal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's the same medal from another thread. Notice this one clearly has a bad jump ring and loop. I don't know if these are die cut or cast. But, it would be very strange for an original medal to have so many different types of attachments.
    Attached Files

Comment

This is not the same medal as the one I posted, which has a beveled ring and other detail differences. It is an obvious die strike in hand, not a casting.

The ribbon crumbles, and doesn't melt when flame is applied to it.

regards, Robert

Comment

Originally posted by RobertE View Post
        ...The ribbon crumbles, and doesn't melt when flame is applied to it.

regards, Robert
        This could be a good point to start... These ribbons are very very hard to find originals, I don't think someone take it from an original medal to put it on a fake.

I'd like to have it in my hands, but I think again these medals should be studied better, because I have good feelings about (metal, die struck, finish, weight...).
        I also tried to buy some of these medals, but I found no one (even where it seemed they were for sale).

My books:

- THE WEHRPAß & SOLDBUCH OF THE WH
        - THE SS TK RING
        - THE ITALIAN-GERMAN MEDAL
        - THE ANTI PARTISAN BADGE
        - THE AWARDS OF THE LW

and more!

sigpic

Comment

regards, Robert
          A good ribbon doesn't crumble, it burns. So its still a bad ribbon, sorry.

Comment

Peter, after reading your reply there's something I probably didn't understand about the ribbon...

My books:

- THE WEHRPAß & SOLDBUCH OF THE WH
            - THE SS TK RING
            - THE ITALIAN-GERMAN MEDAL
            - THE ANTI PARTISAN BADGE
            - THE AWARDS OF THE LW

and more!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Antonio Scapini View Post
              Peter, after reading your reply there's something I probably didn't understand about the ribbon...
              You expressed hope for the ribbon and I just wanted to say that it is a bad one (loops only on left side, right side is stitched).
              However, it doesnt matter that much if a 5 euro service ribbon is good or not when it is a expensive SS-medal that is being discussed. But If the ribbon had the SS runes that would be a different matter.

I have seen quite a lot of repro ribbons with loops on both sides but never the contrary, a good ribbon with one side stitched.

/peter
              Last edited by VonPeter; 03-19-2013, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Just so I'm using the right terms, the ribbon does what a real ribbon does. It does not ball into plastic, and burns to ash. But I agree it is an inexpensive element; any wider long service ribbon works with these.

Comment

This is not the same medal as the one I posted, which has a beveled ring and other detail differences. It is an obvious die strike in hand, not a casting.

regards, Robert
                  My entire point was the difference in the loop and ring. As best I can tell from these pics, the medals are the same. What differences in details do you see?

Comment

Since we can't see any detail differences from the photos you posted BUT the larger, overt details, the lack of a beveled ring and different loop are enough. They are not the same. I won't pick out the minute details I can see from the reduced-size photos you posted.

If you post larger photos of the medal you posted, we can examine it and I'll illuminate as to how it differs from the one I put up. But at this scale, it would be like arguing the shoe size of a fly.

regards, Robert

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X