No announcement yet.

SS STUG Wrap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A forum member sent me a photo of markings with large font in an SS wrap. Evidently its twin was marked the same way. He has owned this one a number of years.

Also, this morning, I photographed the markings in a black lined SS wrap. I made a negative of the image, making the markings just a little more visible. Note the different sized fonts. I have owned this wrap since the '70s and can assure readers here that it is not a newly made item.

Anyway, it is an interesting topic and I wish we could discuss it without the agenda-driven sniping.
    Attached Files

Comment

do you notice the wrap 7 sh.own has betr.ra fonts on the measure stamps? prev page 4

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Davis View Post

Although I do think that high-end copies of SS wraps have been made, I don't agree with the suggestion that wraps with large font markings are necessarily bad.
        I totally agree, - also in that they are not necessarily original.

Cheers

Comment

I revisited the Stug wrap posted by RobNL, and do believe that this large font wrapper could very well be original. I do like many things about it. I will also say that absent many more pictures, and a hands on inspection, I can't say definitively that it is good or bad, yet, it looks promising. I cannot comment as to when the insignia was placed on the tunic, nor do I collect "officers" insignia, so I won't even go there. If the piece is authentic, then I am still of the opinion that there are a wide variety of non authentic wrappers which have taken to attempt to copy this large font. The two I have inspected in hand I felt were custom reproductions and issues with the tunic itself, i.e. construction, quality, materials indicated to me they were not authentic, and the several I have seen that surfaced within that time span also has caused me and continues give me great pause for concern.

As I said anything is possible, I am open to learning and obviously like the rest of the interested parties, would like to know as much as I can about these pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott A. Hess View Post
            As I said anything is possible, I am open to learning and obviously like the rest of the interested parties, would like to know as much as I can about these pieces.
            I agree with you Scott and applaud your open-mindedness. I know we have discussed the subject of these wraps in person and I look forward to doing so again.

On the subject of markings, someone had posted earlier that he had 'never seen a original 627 wrapper where the makers mark have been in the same font and size as the wrappers size markings.'

Speaking for myself, I only recall seeing original 627 marked wraps in the same font size as was the case with the wrap that is the subject of this thread.

A European collector kindly sent along the attached photos showing two more examples marked in the same way - same font and size as the measurement markings.

That doesn't necessarily mean that there were not examples with larger 627 font markings, just that I have never handled such an example.
            Attached Files

Comment

Hello Mike. Thanks for posting the above pictures, I have also received these pictures and Several more. The pictures which I have received, and The ones which have yet to be posted confirm my belief Regarding the production of both black and grey wrappers Of this particular manufacturer. To that extent, I am confident that the small font 627 wrappers are genuine. I am fortunate to own an unissued SS item, combat, which is of a very garden-variety and is a one looker as to authenticity. I have spent dozens of hours comparing and contrasting the quality material construction and most importantly Telltale signs of mass production Of the two pieces. The 627 wrappers also Incorporate construction details which I like to see And I'm comfortable with. As a result, I still feel Confident that the 627 wrappers exhibiting the small font are indeed authentic, original pieces.

As with any opinion, this is only my opinion and one is free to accept or discount it as one feels appropriate.

Comment

Interesting discussion. Sure wish I kept the SS Grey wrap I got from George Peterson in 1977. All I remember about it now is it was tiny, tiny.Jim

Comment

It's a very interesting discussion with different points of view.
                  Some features of the wrap that started this thread remind me to the WSS assault gun jackets, considered fakes by many collectors, made in the mid 90's using Italian gabardine material and lined in the typical standard grey herringbone twill.
                  So it would be interesting to see one of those and the stamps applied to compare.
                  Siam fatti cosi!

Comment

No single item or garment in collecting can be considered in a vacuum. Any tunic, badge , Dagger, etc. Must be evaluated with consideration given to Known wartime standards of material, construction, quality of construction, Assembly And comparison with other excepted originals in the same genre. I am not sure as to which features Luca is referring to concerning the mid 90s wrappers, however the small font 627 which I have Examined and studied I believe are period pieces. I am not sure what more I can add to this, one either accepts them or not. Since these pieces are not readily available for inspection to most collectors, they have not had the benefit of examining them in detail. I do not mean that to sound arrogant, but they are not found in the quantity of panzer assault badges, SS daggers, or SS dot samo. Most shows lend themselves to close study of reproductions in this category.
                    Last edited by Scott A. Hess; 01-27-2013, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott A. Hess View Post
                      No single item or garment in collecting can be considered in a vacuum. Any tunic, badge , Dagger, etc. Must be evaluated with consideration given to Known wartime standards of material, construction, quality of construction, Assembly And comparison with other excepted originals in the same genre. I am not sure as to which features Luca is referring to concerning the mid 90s wrappers, however the small font 627 which I have Examined and studied I believe are period pieces. I am not sure what more I can add to this, one either accepts them or not. Since these pieces are not readily available for inspection to most collectors, they have not had the benefit of examining them in detail. I do not mean that to sound arrogant, but they are not found in the quantity of panzer assault badges, SS daggers, or SS dot samo. Most shows lend themselves to close study of reproductions in this category.
                      Sound Advice and new collectors should follow it and not jump feet first until you do it!!cdr

Comment

Originally posted by wolfslair44 View Post
                        ... and only costs your left nut!
                        You always have the right one as a spare........

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X