"Genuine Nazi uniforms!"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Genuine Nazi uniforms!"

I think this is great. Just get a load of this Spielbergian Hollywood BS. Tonight, I was watching the "Bonus Material" DVD for "The Adventures of Indiana Jones" boxed set, and I caught this statement courtesy of Anthony Powell, Steven Spielberg's costume designer for the latter two films in the "Indiana Jones" trilogy. And, boy, is it a whopper!

"You know, we had a lot of Nazis in the film (Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade). All of those uniforms, I think, were genuine ones that I found in eastern Europe somewhere. Joanna Johnston worked with me on the two last Indiana Jones pictures. I would give her research pictures, and sketches, and drawings, and then she would go out and find it all."

Well, at least Mr. Powell is willing to share the credit for this "discovery," a downright incredible cache of "genuine" Nazi stuff. Why, the actual film sequence (said to be in Berlin) contains a shot of an obese actor playing Hermann Goering in his famous powder blue and gold ensemble. Genuine? Gee, I wonder how much they paid to get THAT! An all-too-young-looking Fuehrer (or is it supposed to be Rudolf Hess?) is there as well to oversee a giant book-burning in what we are supposed to believe is early 1939. (Hmm... Were "degenerate" books really still a major concern in the lead-up to World War II? I tend to think not with plans for a major war afoot.) One also sees a veritable legion of Hitler Youth, and "genuine" SA standarten galore, borne by what appear to be Heer personnel.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't most of those pieces go to Russia in 1945, where they were summarily torched in Red Square? Oh, yes. Mr. Powell only referred to the uniforms as "genuine." I get a kick out of the way Hollywood insists on combat personnel wearing the NSDAP brassard (arm band). It's as if they're trying to tell the audience, "Okay, you ignoramuses. Now, THESE are the Nazis. THESE are the bad guys. Got it?"

But what a miraculous recovery of "genuine" Nazi uniforms! Thank you, Steven Spielberg! The "Bonus Material" (how about calling it "Bogus Material," instead?) sequence is in title 5 of chapter 1 on the DVD, under "The Last Crusade" on the main menu, if you want to see and hear it for yourselves. What's really funny is that the sequence ends with director/producer Steven Spielberg instructing his Nazi impersonators to cross their fingers behind their backs when giving the "Heil Hitler" salute. A fitting end, as one cannot quite see Mr. Powell's hands as he speaks to the camera.

So, all of you stalwart relic hunters: If you're wondering where all of the "good stuff" has gone, my guess is that you'll find it in a closely-guarded warehouse of the Paramount Studios backlot! <!-- / message --><!-- edit note -->
    Last edited by suumcuique; 05-27-2004, 01:14 AM.

But note the 'get-out clause' in the quote..........

"All of those uniforms were .....I think......genuine".

Maybe he just 'thought wrong'.

An honest mistake.

Like some of our dealer friends.

Comment

I've done some work consulting with Hollywood on feature films. They often do have excellent technical advisors, however, the problem is the prop and costume departments do not listen to them all the time . Believe me, it's a battle to get them as good as they are! If you only saw what we stopped them from doing!t

Comment

Originally posted by nutmeg
        I've done some work consulting with Hollywood on feature films. They often do have excellent technical advisors, however, the problem is the prop and costume departments do not listen to them all the time . Believe me, it's a battle to get them as good as they are! If you only saw what we stopped them from doing!
        Yes. Case in point: Filmmakers' insistence that combat personnel would wear the NSDAP brassard. The SS-Totenkopfverbaende stopped using the armband very early in their existence, and those personnel of the Wehrmacht-Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, et al, who were indeed card-carrying NSDAP members (not all were) never wore the armband outside of a party function, and certainly not in the field. That's what the small party badge was for. Obviously, the bright red color on the upper arm would make one an instant target. Gee, were the Germans really that stupid? No, I think not. It would not have taken 6 years for the Allies to defeat them if they were that stupid. It is simply not historical, and yet Hollywitz still tries to convince us all as to the "historical" nature of their industry - that is, when they are trying to be historical. This stupid insistence extends even to the video game genre, as in the Playstation 2 "Medal of Honor" series. Check it out. It's right on the back cover - SS Mann in combat stance with his Nazi Party brassard in full view. Duh.
        Last edited by suumcuique; 05-30-2004, 06:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Robin Lumsden
          But note the 'get-out clause' in the quote..........

"All of those uniforms were .....I think......genuine".

Maybe he just 'thought wrong'.

An honest mistake.

Like some of our dealer friends.
          Indeed. "I think..." - A most reliable escape clause for the (wheeler-)dealer.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X