SS hat Good or Bad??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS hat Good or Bad??

I have been offered this SS hat. I am not a SS guy ant not a hat guy either. I need your help here. I know the pictures are not the best but does it have a chance? I will get better pictures if you think I need them.

Dennis
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Dennis GT; 06-13-2011, 08:47 PM.

inside

inside
    Attached Files

Comment

in every detail

Comment

Reproduction.

Comment

awful

Just awful.

Comment

Textbook fake in every way - but hey, we all need to start somewhere in learning about fakes.

So let's help Dennis out.

First off, always look for this gray plastic strip, which is typical of many fakes.

Now, someone else can pick up and discuss the label, or the sweat band, or the stitching, or the insignia, or ???
            Attached Files

Comment

This kind of C code RZM label was attached to items of insignia which whilst not a hands-off production (which would rate an A label) required only a relatively small amount of manual imput in their production. For example a C label would be found on a machine embroidered but hand folded and sewn sleeve diamond such as the Germanic SS rautes, an embroidered Allg-SS number collar patch or a flatwire cufftitle which used a complex and expensive process and materials in it's production.

Paper labels should NEVER be in caps.

Ian

Comment

The skull looks like an M5/8 numbered fake and the eagle the kind with the SS runes in a diamond behind the wreath. Both date back to at least the mid 70's to my certain knowledge, if not before that.

Ian

Comment

All other obvious signs of reproduction aside a 1944 date written on the sweatband in an Alg SS visor certainly would be a red flag also.

Comment

The whole thing looks very typical of what was being offered in the 70's.

Another clue - sweat diamond should be Celluloid, not vinyl.

Comment

Thanks!!!

Thank you guys for the help! I never got a price for this . I learned a lot from all of this, several things I would have never though about. Nice to have such a great to go with questions and get good answers.

Dennis

Comment

It has kind of a rakish fold under to the right. Maybe the owner also had an SS panzer beret, and he wore the beret tam folded under to the right of the crash helmet? It could have happened...if it were real, if I didn't make it all up.

Richard

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X