what a shame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by judas View Post

An example - in Cairo recently museums belonging to 'the people' were destroyed in the furuor of the demonstrations. Was that right ? Was that their right as 'the people' 'the owners' to be able to do this, I think not.
    Is in no way the same thing, the stuff did not belong to them.

A more realistic example would be the Chinese Gentleman who used to buy all Boxer Rebellion medals and melt them down.

Would I urinate in his Peking fried duck while he was not looking? Yes, indeed I would.

But he bought them fair and square on an auction and it was his legal right to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Boonzaier View Post
      Is in no way the same thing, the stuff did not belong to them.

A more realistic example would be the Chinese Gentleman who used to buy all Boxer Rebellion medals and melt them down.

Would I urinate in his Peking fried duck while he was not looking? Yes, indeed I would.

But he bought them fair and square on an auction and it was his legal right to do so.

Possibly a TV program, fictional I think, a chap that does that with pictures and drawings by Adolf Hitler. A buy and burn policy. A good topic for philosophers
      Last edited by Steve T; 02-10-2011, 07:27 PM.

Comment

why'd he melt them? hadn't heard that one

Comment

When people "buy and burn" ...(or melt) it just makes the surviving examples more rare, valuable and thus more sought after. I think that it is more of a statement than actually realisticly attempting to erase history(or it's memorabilia).
          Jp
          indeed a good topic for philosophers.

Jp

p.s. ....about Egypt, I think the Army is protecting the museums and none have been looted. Any links to news stories stating otherwise?

Comment

what john said. just so.

Originally posted by John Pic View Post
            From a profit seekers point of view...who cares, he made money.

From a collector historian,curator/caretaker point of view...what a freakin shame destroying an historical artifact.

The great divide in the realm of TR collecting...Love of history/Love of money.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X