Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS helmet cover

Hi
    Could you please tell me your thoughts on this one?

Kind regards,
    Gerd V
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Not one I would want to own, fabric is original though.

Comment

Helmet cover

IMO clips not ok. Check rectangular shape opening. Normally they are rounded. Also rust pattern on the one clip shown appear artificial.

Also take a closer look at the stitching. On the pictures it looks like it was done not so long ago.

Regards
        Last edited by Excelsior; 12-22-2010, 04:44 PM.

Comment

clips is Czech steel copies..

Comment

I agree..
            Originally posted by Excelsior View Post
            IMO clips not ok. Check rectangular shape opening. Normally they are rounded. Also rust pattern on the one clip shown appear artificial.

Also take a closer look at the stitching. On the pictures it looks like it was done not so long ago.

Regards

Comment

I have only had three WSS helmet camo covers. Two came directly from the WSS veteran. This does not look like any of the ones I had. The cloth the ones I had was much finer. Also the clips were different.

Comment

Originally posted by Ludwig View Post
                The cloth the ones I had was much finer.
                The cloth is original, however, it is of the later coarse type, earlier cloth was of much higher quality.

The quality we see here turned up first by ca. late 43 and would become more and more standard during the end of the war in 44/45, also with wehrmacht zelts.

Comment

Ss helmet cover

I agree with the other forum members. The clip definitely looks postwar, and the camo material looks like the course late-war type, as used on zeltbahns. I owned one original SS camo helmet cover, a 1st model Oak Leaf B type, and the camo material was higher quality than the zelts in my collection. I have attached a pic of that cover, not the best quality, but it can still be used as a reference. I would pass on the cover shown in this thread. Not original.

Best regards,

Tom
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by GOTZVONB View Post
                    and the camo material looks like the course late-war type, as used on zeltbahns.
                    In order to avoid misunderstandings; that coarse material was used on zelts, covers and some late type 2 B smocks, maybe on more items but then I haven't seen it.

So in other words, a cover made from that coarse material can very well be real, the later the model of cover the more likely you will encounter that coarse material. On the other hand not all "last" covers were made using that coarse material.

Comment

Ss helmet cover

Fritz, thanks for correcting my statement that could have mislead some forum members. I have owned a few late-war SS zeltbahns that had the coarse camo material, but it's definitely true that other items, such as helmet covers & smocks, were produced with this type of material. Most of the fake helmet covers that I have seen were made from cut-up late-war zeltbahns, as those zelts were much cheaper than helmet covers in the old days.

Best regards,

Tom

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X