Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP pls with: W-SS EM coat !

Dear friends,

As some might know, I am a passionate LAH document collector, but a total loser when it comes to cloth....

Hence I would appreciate your opinions on the below shown Waffen-SS Ari EM M43 coat in order to avoid pricey mistakes.

E.g. Is there a way to really know whether this coat is W-SS and not WH convered by sewing on a BeVo sleeve eagle?
    Attached Files

W-SS Mannschaftsmantel 1943

Rear views
    Attached Files

Comment

BeVo Ärmeladler
      Attached Files

Comment

Inside...
        Attached Files

Comment

Markings...
          Attached Files

Comment

Last, not least the Ari shoulderstraps. These appear to have been added to the coat at a later stage, which is o.k. I guess.
            Attached Files

Comment

Markus,
              According to Volume 6 Uniforms of the SS by Andrew Mollo pages 28 and 29: after 1941 the issue field grey great coat was identical to the army pattern, at first with dark green collar and later with field grey. Hope this helps.

Comment

Many thanks David. This infoirmation is in line with several other reference
                books I have.

From that perspective, the coat would be in line.

Still the question bugs me, whether this could be an Army piece with an
                attached armeagle, only at x-times the price of a reg. WH coat.

Can anyone comment on the stamps/markings?

Comment

Hola Markus-

I would wait for a better example without questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny R View Post
                    Hola Markus-

I would wait for a better example without questions.

Buenos dias Johnny!

I agree, but what makes this one questionable?

The fact that I was asking doesn't make it questionable, or are there
                    certain facts that speak against it?

I've seen the coat 1-2 times in Helmut's shop and the arm eagle
                    e.g. just feels that it's been there forever. (Doesn't mean anything
                    of course.)

Comment

I personally would buy one that is text book if you want an "SS" coat. Just my opinion. Is there a good sized hole in the skirt or is that the photo?

Comment

Thanks Johnny! I totally agree, but what makes this one non-textbook,
                        if I make naively ask?

My reference books incl. Beaver show all sorts of models and find
                        that rather confusing.

What makes a 1943 text-book piece?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by markus View Post
                          Thanks Johnny! I totally agree, but what makes this one non-textbook,
                          if I make naively ask?

My reference books incl. Beaver show all sorts of models and find
                          that rather confusing.

What makes a 1943 text-book piece?

Thanks!
                          Only people who assert they know everything about this stuff are naïve- For a solid late War coat I would want one in the blue gray cloth without french cuffs etc. and HBT lining like the one shown in volume two page 505-509. If you are going to have one example something like that coat would be a good piece etc.

Comment

Johnny,

I will double check the Beaver ref tonight when home.
                            I wouldn't say 1943 is late war though, rather mid-war, no?

Would an Army coat not bear different markings? An RBN Nr. eg?
                            And this is an SS contractor piece?

It's just crazy how difficult SS cloth can be!

Comment

According to Helmut Weitze himself, the coat has a different cut with the sleeve pleats (Aufschläge/Cuffs) and Riegel (closing devise on the back), in comparision to a "normal" WH model.

Der Mantel der Waffen-SS hat einen etwas anderen Schnitt, hinten beim Riegel und bei den Ärmelaufschlägen. Außerdem hat er innen eine typische Kammerstempelung " 479/43" eines RZM-Betriebes, der für die SS gefertigt hat.
                              UNQUOTE

The marking "479/43" is a typical stamp for an RZM factory producing for the SS.

Can anyone comment on that?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X