Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS officer tunic opinion pls

Hello

I need your opinion on this tunic, as I have some doubt.

http://www.lastreich.co.uk/shop/view...h=1986&phqu=10

The tunic itself looks OK, but what about the insigna?

Thanks for your help

The insignia are fine originals ... I guess the main question would be where and more to the point when they met the tunic.

Ian.

Comment

These look like some poorly executed runes. Uneven shape, sloppy, too close together, etc.
      Attached Files

Comment

I do not like waht I see! Almost verything looks fresh. Even if the tunic had been hanging in a closet for over 60 years, it would have had a certain "wear". Hard for me to explain this. It´s a certain feeling you get when handling an item like this.

Comment

LOL......visually there is only one thing possibly wrong with that tunic except as Ian pointed out that there is the chance of being post war assembled. That Runic tab is a classic original runes are supposed to be close together although sometimes if the unterlagen breaks they are separtated a bit more . But why sit here and speculate on it with tunics one has to do a hands on ...a good blacklight over the right breast in a pitch dark room can show if an eagle was removed to a trained eye.

Without a line of documented ownership you never know when and where these tunics were assembled. Oh and another way to tell is if the sleeves are relined , they have to remove the sleeve lining to machine sew an eagle on like that. The machine sewing method of the bevo eagle on this type of tunic is very unusual. Most of the time you find them hand sewn onto privately tailored tunics that have lined sleeves because they were added by the tailor after the tunic was purchased. It's odd and rare to see one machine sewn on like it would be on an enlisted tunic..this alone on this particular tunic and some other factors would keep me from purchasing it, it says to me that somebody who thought they knew what they were doing slapped it together and made a mistake...the question would haunt me and I would not feel comfortable with it.
          Last edited by John Pic; 11-16-2009, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Oxidation

Runes appear to be heavily oxidized. Yes, where has it been all these years. Something you rarely get with an Internet Tunic, Provenance.

Seriously, 99% of the time browsing the Internet for untouched SS Tunics is a Fools Game. Want a real SS Tunic? Prepare to do some real hard work.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
              Runes appear to be heavily oxidized. Yes, where has it been all these years. Something you rarely get with an Internet Tunic, Provenance.

Seriously, 99% of the time browsing the Internet for untouched SS Tunics is a Fools Game. Want a real SS Tunic? Prepare to do some real hard work.
              It's not from Chicago, so I wouldn't trust it.

Comment

Originally posted by John Pic View Post
                LOL......visually there is only one thing possibly wrong with that tunic except as Ian pointed out that there is the chance of being post war assembled. That Runic tab is a classic original runes are supposed to be close together although sometimes if the unterlagen breaks they are separtated a bit more . But why sit here and speculate on it with tunics one has to do a hands on ...a good blacklight over the right breast in a pitch dark room can show if an eagle was removed to a trained eye.

Without a line of documented ownership you never know when and where these tunics were assembled. Oh and another way to tell is if the sleeves are relined , they have to remove the sleeve lining to machine sew an eagle on like that. The machine sewing method of the bevo eagle on this type of tunic is very unusual. Most of the time you find them hand sewn onto privately tailored tunics that have lined sleeves because they were added by the tailor after the tunic was purchased. It's odd and rare to see one machine sewn on like it would be on an enlisted tunic..this alone on this particular tunic and some other factors would keep me from purchasing it, it says to me that somebody who thought they knew what they were doing slapped it together and made a mistake...the question would haunt me and I would not feel comfortable with it.
                I for one just learned a lot from your post...thanks John!!!

Comment

You're welcome . CurtD how do you know for sure..after all that comes out of Chicago you never know.

Comment

Thanks for your help guys

Comment

Originally posted by John Pic View Post
                      You're welcome . CurtD how do you know for sure..after all that comes out of Chicago you never know.

This one lacks the Chicago style.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                      X