Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is really a good ring in CG book?

Comment

Surprisingly, there are a few, including that one. My vet acquired, uncleaned TK ring actually have some of that green stuff on it to.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by SScollector View Post
        Surprisingly, there are a few, including that one. My vet acquired, uncleaned TK ring actually have some of that green stuff on it to.

Chris
        Do you mean Kaiser ring? Are you willing to show the green color? Is it inside?

Jan

Comment

Yes, and I will post a pic tomorrow. It is within the details on the outside.

Chris

Comment

Here you go:
            Attached Files

Comment

That looks to me like what Mallechort does when it is exposed to a corrosive atmosphere - especially when sulfur is present. Some people call it verdigris. Not saying that is what that ring is made of - but the high content of copper in Mallechort (60% copper/20% nickel/20% zinc) jewelry promotes a similar reaction and appearance. Some peoples body chemistry can expedite the reaction as well.

Comment

Originally posted by N.C. Wyeth View Post
                That looks to me like what Mallechort does when it is exposed to a corrosive atmosphere - especially when sulfur is present. Some people call it verdigris. Not saying that is what that ring is made of - but the high content of copper in Mallechort (60% copper/20% nickel/20% zinc) jewelry promotes a similar reaction and appearance. Some peoples body chemistry can expedite the reaction as well.
                I have noticed, that few late war rings, VET liberated, were covered with some material. I have seen photos of 1 or 2 even on WAF, but I do not remember the names. Would it be this? Or the ring was possibly stored with some copper stuff.

Still the colour is different (darker) than the wasabi on first ring ... .

Comment

Originally posted by SScollector View Post
                  Here you go:
                  Thank you very much for showing the green stains.

Comment

Originally posted by lartiste View Post
                    Thank you very much for showing the green stains.
                    The Büchner engraved ring used to be John Pepera's. Since it came in the pictured grouping, chances are very high it's an original: Erwin Büchner, NSDAP #38247, SS #3283.

Green oxidation is an indication for high alloy silver, which would typically be 800 grade in Germany.

b.JPG

A_Ring_Buchner.jpg

Comment

The green you see on TK rings usually is a chemical reaction between the liver of sulphur components and the human sweat and other elements common in daylife.
                      Attached Files

My books:

- THE WEHRPAß & SOLDBUCH OF THE WH
                      - THE SS TK RING
                      - THE ITALIAN-GERMAN MEDAL
                      - THE ANTI PARTISAN BADGE
                      - THE AWARDS OF THE LW

and more!

sigpic

Comment

so was the 'black' on the HR [1st and 2nd type] done with liver of sulfur?
                        , or do you think that the black was reapplied at a early date and worn off again?

Comment

I'm not sure I understood your question my friend.

Yes, the liver of sulphur was used for blackening, and yes for both first and second pattern.
                          Then I don't know if on rings we handle it was reapplied or not... In those I was sure they were untouched yes.
                          But in the recesses areas there were so many elements it is totally useless to investigate on them. I found from selenium to silicon, from clorhine to arsenic, superficial analysys always reveals a huge amount of oxidation... The dirt on the recesses is impressive...

Below a chemical analysys of a deep area. Oxidation is higher that the rest of the surface (that is correct) and the presence of sulphur is around 5%, that indicates it was added to blackening the recesses.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Antonio Scapini; 01-20-2020, 01:10 PM.

My books:

- THE SS TK RING
                          - THE AWARDS OF THE LW

and more!

sigpic

Comment

arsenic

"The dirt on the recesses is impressive"...

Knowing where my hands end up occasionally I bet not something we'd want to know!

Comment

Originally posted by Gaspare View Post
                              arsenic

"The dirt on the recesses is impressive"...

Knowing where my hands end up occasionally I bet not something we'd want to know!
                              Ok, never ask me to analyze one of your rings please!

BTW: to have a complete understanding on their production process I think it is also important to know how the were blackened; and I've never found anything about the "lacquer" (the rings were covered of) Craig talked about in his book (even on mint rings). IMO he confused the natural yellowing/aging the silver can shows occasionally with something else. Furthermore lacquer on silver is a complicated field, some jewelry books exaplin very well that, usually not used on items because it wear off and breakes... The result would be catastrophic.
                              No evidences and a useless action IMO are enough to dismiss the use of a lacquer on TK rings.

My books:

- THE SS TK RING
                              - THE AWARDS OF THE LW

and more!

sigpic

Comment

I use a product by Birchwood Casey called Aluminum Black to tone the repo ring I wear. It does a decent job and doesn't harm the ring.
                                Jim

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X