BD Publishing

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SS Artillery shoulderboards on E-stand coat.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Artillery shoulderboards on E-stand coat.

Hi.
    Could these stand a chance of being original from these pictures?
    I have one period WH boards with this kind of a buttonhole but the construction is different and WH ones seems to be private purchase.
    Opinions are welcomed, cause I do not know much about ss stuff.
    Regards
    k.
    http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=331226

no way for a decent opininon with this poor photos

Comment

I apologize for the poor photos. Here are some better photos. The green board fabric seem to be crudely cut (especially on the right board) so it could be field made. I also found some spare material (about 1") in one of the pockets, which seems to be the same/similar material.

Left board inside:

Left board top, with button undone:

Right board inside:

Right board top, with button undone:

regards,

Andrew

Comment

not original imo im sorry ,over all the years i have never seen any field made boards
        here original red piped pair
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by besslein View Post
          not original imo im sorry ,over all the years i have never seen any field made boards
          here original red piped pair

I agree.
          __________________________________________________ ________
          Cheers Steve

Comment

Don't like them either.

Comment

Certainly does look crude...but does look old... I'm also leaning towards it being a weathered bad copy...
              but field made might be a possibility? who knows?
              Last edited by NickG; 01-13-2009, 09:35 PM.

Comment

They have the same musty, woolly smell as the rest of the jacket. If there is anything I should look for let me know. I was told they are original but you guys are the experts. The jacket is salty, with a small repair to it. It matches the wear of the jacket for the boards to be salty. In any case they must have been on it for a very long time because the button is indented into the board, and the piping has been slightly mothed just like parts of the jacket.

Comment

Originally posted by pattiewhack View Post
                  They have the same musty, woolly smell as the rest of the jacket. If there is anything I should look for let me know. I was told they are original but you guys are the experts. The jacket is salty, with a small repair to it. It matches the wear of the jacket for the boards to be salty. In any case they must have been on it for a very long time because the button is indented into the board, and the piping has been slightly mothed just like parts of the jacket.
                  perhaps this overcoat was used in theater/movie company post war, and the boards are old copys,if the are 40 years old its smell old.

Comment

It may be the light but I also don't like the red tone, it looks very wrong.

The straps are definatly not textbook, nor are they close to that and I would actually pass on everything in that field that is not the way it should be.

Fieldmade straps did exist and were in some cases also made by local tailors in larger numbers, still it is like with every fieldmade item, very hard to actually prove that it is real and very hard to resell.... And most of it is indeed fake.

Cheers

Fritz

Comment

Thanks for the input!

Comment

Just few more thoughts.
                        The straps have colorful threads used on buttonholes like sometimes I have seen on German tunics. I mean using bright green, orange and blue threads, what i have seen. The wool under the lining of the tongue has a full nap. Hand inspected, the boards do match the coat in wear etc. Well I am not saying anything for sure but I like to think that there might have been variety on using materials and techniques in production or so. To prove it, that is another thing.
                        I do not know the making perspectives in USA theater and movie props but these what I have seen in Estonia, does not even come close to the originals.

Regards
                        k.

Last edited by kass; 04-25-2009, 11:04 AM.

Comment

I am sorry but there is nothing I like about these straps. As I said earlier, some weird period stuff made by small companies exists but I would not tend to believe these straps are originating from such a source.

Sorry

Fritz

Comment

IMO these are crude repros "aged" in a garage somewhere with a pair of pliers.

Comment

Observation

Excelllent Observation, it does look like someone took a pair of Pliers and yanked the Piping. As opoosed to be worn with use and time.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X