Waffen SS Visor - pre war? - opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm looking at this visor to fill a gap in my collection.

http://relicsofthereich.com/shop/shop.php?c=34

Any opinions before I inquire further. It has been restored but my budget fits the price.

I can't copy the pictures over but here is the description and the link:

This is a real Sleeper and been there example of a Waffen SS Officers visor cap. The cap has suffered from bad storage over the last 60+ years and has extensive mothing as seen in the photos. The visor and part of the sweatband had also become detached through age but this has been professionaly restored and reattached with original matching thread sewn through the original sewing holes. without knowing this you would be hard pushed to see !!

The cap is a private made piece and I believe early and maybe even pre war. The full makers details are under the intact cello diamond. The sweatband is still fully intact, Inside the cap is staining from wear and storage but no major damage.
    Best part is the original Metal cap insignia still attached and in beautiful condition with real patina.

A 100% real Waffen SS visor cap at a well below the norm price. In unmothed condition this would have been a very expensive piece.

I like it. The condition's salty, but its not that bad...

Comment

You should list the cap at the cap forum to get the right feedback.

Best regards, Tom

Comment

Any more opinions? The pics are copyrighted and can't transfer them across...thanks again.

Comment

One-looker original insignia.

I like the cap too.

Brad

Comment

Agree on the insignia.

I guess it depends what you find acceptable condition wise I suppose.

Ian

Comment

I am a fan.

Comment

nice cap realistic priced

Comment

The cap to me looks fine, however, I think I know why it is priced below market value. Reason being is that it has a trade mark logo. Although there were certainly 100% percent original caps observed with trade mark logos, such as Erel and others, on the whole collectors tend to shy away from any Waffen SS visors which bear any trade mark logos. Since by in large it was a trend of the SS not to carry any logos, thereby not showing any favoratism for any one particular manufacturer. However, it is a fact that original caps do exist with trade mark logos, since they were purchased privately by the officers from shops and not through he Kleiderkasse system. Again, most collectors prefer the Kleiderkasse type of Waffen SS visors, and a re-sale on this cap may prove tough. That is why I think it is below market value, not necessarily due to condition. Even in such condition, a cap like this would easily fetch between 8K - 8.5K (Kleiderkasse type). Without mothing a Kleiderkasse type of cap (either German or Italian material) would fetch between 10K - 12.5K.
                  Last edited by DKNYC71; 12-20-2008, 08:47 PM.

Comment

[quote=DKNYC71;2995768]Reason being is that it has a trade mark logo. Although there were certainly 100% percent original caps observed with trade mark logos, such as Erel and others, on the whole collectors tend to shy away from any Waffen SS visors which bear any trade mark logos. Since by in large it was a trend of the SS not to carry any logos, thereby not showing any favoratism for any one particular manufacturer. However, it is a fact that original caps do exist with trade mark logos, since they were purchased privately by the officers from shops and not through he Kleiderkasse system. Again, most collectors prefer the Kleiderkasse type of Waffen SS visors, and a re-sale on this cap may prove tough.[quote]

If I were searching for an Officers cap, I wouldn't let this concern me - such caps did exist. The condition might not be pristine, but it still has some very attractive character in the pics. Holding it in hand can never be over-emphasized, and of couse so does opinion of those better experienced, but these pics offer a sense of hope to me. Although I am not completely in tune with the price, if I were seeking such a cap, I think this one could warrant a little bargaining effort to see what could be achieved . . .

Brad

Comment

[QUOTE=N.C. Wyeth;2995851][quote=DKNYC71;2995768]Reason being is that it has a trade mark logo. Although there were certainly 100% percent original caps observed with trade mark logos, such as Erel and others, on the whole collectors tend to shy away from any Waffen SS visors which bear any trade mark logos. Since by in large it was a trend of the SS not to carry any logos, thereby not showing any favoratism for any one particular manufacturer. However, it is a fact that original caps do exist with trade mark logos, since they were purchased privately by the officers from shops and not through he Kleiderkasse system. Again, most collectors prefer the Kleiderkasse type of Waffen SS visors, and a re-sale on this cap may prove tough.

If I were searching for an Officers cap, I wouldn't let this concern me - such caps did exist. The condition might not be pristine, but it still has some very attractive character in the pics. Holding it in hand can never be over-emphasized, and of couse so does opinion of those better experienced, but these pics offer a sense of hope to me. Although I am not completely in tune with the price, if I were seeking such a cap, I think this one could warrant a little bargaining effort to see what could be achieved . . .

Brad

Brad,

As I stated in my post, I think the cap is original, furthermore I stated that private purchase caps did indeed exist. My point is that it would probably be better to go with something more textbook, and something that would be a more of an easy sell, if and when one decided to part with the cap. SS Officer visor hats are not particularly rare, expensive yes, rare no, just like Knight's Crosses and Chained SS daggers, expensive but not rare. They are not rare like SS Generals caps or W/SS Officers 2 piece insignia German made material M43 hats with eagle on side and skull in the front.

One would be wise to simply wait, collect more funds, and purchase something more textbook and better condition. Which in time would be a better collecting item and a better investment. And not have something which down the road will be hard to move and require explenation to sell.

Just my humble opinion based on many years of collecting high end items.

Cheers,
                      Dave.

Comment

No

I am not comfortable with it at all, but the real question is will it survive on the Hat Forum with a "hood up" inspection. I really doubt it. Glad the insignia is real though.

Comment

Originally posted by DKNYC71 View Post
                          The cap to me looks fine, however, I think I know why it is priced below market value. Reason being is that it has a trade mark logo. Although there were certainly 100% percent original caps observed with trade mark logos, such as Erel and others, on the whole collectors tend to shy away from any Waffen SS visors which bear any trade mark logos. Since by in large it was a trend of the SS not to carry any logos, thereby not showing any favoratism for any one particular manufacturer. However, it is a fact that original caps do exist with trade mark logos, since they were purchased privately by the officers from shops and not through he Kleiderkasse system. Again, most collectors prefer the Kleiderkasse type of Waffen SS visors, and a re-sale on this cap may prove tough. That is why I think it is below market value, not necessarily due to condition. Even in such condition, a cap like this would easily fetch between 8K - 8.5K (Kleiderkasse type). Without mothing a Kleiderkasse type of cap (either German or Italian material) would fetch between 10K - 12.5K.
                          First time I hear this hypothesis as well. Contract or private purchase does not matter IMO the price reflects its "holey" condition here.

Comment

Can someone move it to the other forum please...

Comment

nobody noticed

in one picture it had the early metal TK badge. In other pics, the final pattern.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                              X