Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about a ring, what is it? SS?

Hello,
    Thought I might look for some info here. Hope this is the right forum. I’ve never paid much attention to rings before, usually only medals. This ring belongs to a lady I know and it belonged to her husband. That’s about it in regards to the history that we know of it. The only markings are 800 for content and the Himmler engraving. The details are very sharp and crisp, just like you would want to see in a nice medal. The engraving is even in depth. Overall the ring is very well made and high quality and shows even wear. That is about all that I can think of to describe it, the pictures will probably work better. Looking at it under a loupe it is older and not a cast piece. I realize that “older” can mean a lot of things, but I'm wanting to see if anyone has any idea of what it might be? Also, is this particular type of ring a typically faked item and if so approximately when did they start coming onto the market? She’s not really interested in selling it, her main interest is to find out what it is and its authenticity. I have tried to make as clear of images as possible.
    Thanks in advance.
    Matt
    Attached Files
    Last edited by matt johnson; 10-02-2003, 01:39 AM.

Here's another pic.
    Attached Files

Comment

And another,
      Attached Files

Comment

Last one, thanks again.
        Matt
        Attached Files

Comment

Sorry Matt,this is a 'fantasy' item based on what is supposed to be a prototype SS officers buckle design.There will be more info on the design over on the buckle forum but if memory serves the story is that this was the losing design when the buckle was being created but our hard-working fake friends have created the 'original' that never existed beyond a couple of samples perhaps.If you have 'Uniforms,Organisation and History of the Waffen SS' Vol.1 this is shown.
          Yours may be an object of interest to the 'collector' who likes wearing such items...repro honour rings etc and being made from 800 silver has an intrinsic value of perhaps £40 - £50 to some-one.Besides that Halloween is coming soon.
          Hope this helps,Ian Hulley.

Comment

Hi Matt, Ian is correct with his assessment of this ring, a post war fantasy item.
            Cheers, Ade.

Comment

That is definately the nicest one of those rings I have seen, much better detail than most. When I first started collecting I bought one from an old german lady at a flea market in Newport news VA. SHe siad it belonged to her father and wanted $25 for it. I bought it, then she brought me her fathers helmet, A very nice m42 no decal, which I bought for $20. I figure I still did Ok, fake ring or not. Sold the ring to someone who wanted to wear it for what I paid for it, still have the $20 M42 helmet
              Brian

Comment

Odd Ring

FWIW That seems like a very high quality ring, with a lot detail for a repro, plus for a repro that is easy and inexpensive to produce, it doesn`t seem to be for sale all over as most repros are.

It looks like there is a small opening above the 800 hallmark mark on the inside, but not on the front ?

It also looks like a " seal " ring, often used with wax impressions on documents.

I`m not doubting the more knowlegable folks here who suggest it`s a repro, it just seems a curious item to fake.
                Last edited by APC; 10-05-2003, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by APC
                  It also looks like a " seal " ring, often used with wax impressions on documents.

I`m not doubting the more knowlegable folks here who suggest it`s a repro, it just seems a curious item to fake.
                  APC if this was a seal ring the imprint would be backwards...swastika,runes etc.....not exactly in keeping with what we know of the IIIrd Reich quality control systems.
                  Oh,and as for it being a curious item to fake,they'll fake ANYTHING some items,KVKII/KVMs for example costing more for a copy than for an original,now that seems really curious...but true.
                  I'm not an expert on rings (or anything else for that matter) but this is a fantasy item full stop.

Kind Regards,
                  Ian Hulley

Comment

The Ring

Agree with Ian. The ring is a fantasy piece and I encountered such type before over here. The original SS rings are VERY, VERY and VERY rare. Here are the photos of four known for me (and 101%) original SS rings.

Comment

Hello,
                      Thanks very much for the information. I honestly have had very little experience with rings in the past and appreciate the help. I'm not suprised at all that high quality fantasy pieces were being manufactured 40-50 years ago. Where there is money to be made, someone will create a way to get it. It is kind of like the vet I met once who served occupation duty in Germany during the mid 1950's. He obtained a dagger during his time there and had believe for years since that it was real and left over from the war. Needless to say, he had been sold a lemon less than ten years after the war was over.

Thanks again guys,
                      Matt

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X