X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too True

Originally posted by trotlin13
    John:

Having conversed and dealt with you in the past, my only advice on these rare and expensive tunics is the "guarantee" offered by the vendor. One can opine ad nauseum on whether these items conform to period specifications, but the fact of the matter remains, if your seller, for the kind of money you should be shelling out for these tunics, does not offer you an unconditional guarantee, then please pass on these items. From the tone of your post, it appears you have a short time period to make up your mind. If the vendor is requiring an immediate decision b/c of statements that other parties are interested, then that is a bad indication. I understand and know you are an astute professional, but too often, we chase the "sexiness" of acquiring a piece and leave common sense out of the transaction. While I acknowledge a guarantee is only worth the person guaranteeing it, it gives you as a consumer the only tangible legal assurance that you can recover if the item is discovered as fake. Having represented some high profile clients in cases of of third reich fraud, I know from whence I speak. With the kind of money you should be spending, the quality pieces will find you with impeccable provenance that you can determine and trace to the month. If you cant on these 3, then pass, sincerely

Dylan
    As a new member I have little to add except that the above post should be in the introduction to all " Collector " Books.

Beyond that, while new to German WW II collecting I have spent 20 years collecting 19th. Century British Officers Tunics and headgear here and in Europe which were, like the best of the German Officer cloth items made by tailors for private purchase and were not inexpensive items.

Bringing that experience to this item I too am bothered by the fitting of the collar tabs in relation to the lines of the collar. I would think they would be unacceptable to both Tailor and original buyer.

May I also say that I have never seen a cloth item, even one " only " 58+ years old that did not exhibit some dirt, dust and, most importantly chemical oxidations, ( where metal and cloth contact ) even if stored in a trunk or closet for that time.

Comment

Hi Hardigan;

Although I agree to a point with your comment I just wanted to challenge and set straight your comment concerning everything the Germans produced was of top notch quality. Some insignia were very poorly produced including collar tabs (the Dachau stye runic tab for instance) and trapezoids (the Pirate type comes to mind) to the point of some of these items almost being comical in appearance.
      Best regards,

Tony

Comment

I would also hasten to add that I have seen items from the war that are absolutely pristine from having been stored properly and especially if it was a soldier's "best dress" and remained in the closet. Why, just look at some of the exceptional parade uniforms we have seen both here on the forum and at shows etc. I would dissagree that just because a tunic was 60+ years old it cannot be in absolutely mint condition.....it most certainly can be in my experience.
        Cheers, Wade K.

Comment

Hello Tony

I agree that sometimes you can see poor looking insignia , but then you're talking about the differents in design and not the good quality of the materials they used !
          I'm talking about the lifetime of uniforms(incl. buttonholes!),insignia, etc. , that was always solid by those Germans , and not only in the Army ! Most things you bought then in whole Europe was of better quality than now !!

BTW I also agree with Wade that there are pristine uniforms out there , why not ! some officers had 4 uniforms in the closet ! But they are scarce !

Greetings

Hardigan

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X